KERR FAMILY CHRONICLES© Christopher Earls Brennen
Datafile 6A. McReynolds Records
- William McReynolds, aged 22, from Belfast was a Junior Sixth Engineer on board the RMS Titanic and died in the disaster on Apr.15, 1912. He was part of the Engineering Crew and had boarded the ship in Belfast.
1666 HEARTH MONEY ROLLS
The 1666 Hearth Money Rolls for the Barony of Dungannon include Hugh McRannell in the townland of Ballynagowan (this may be Ballynargan which is just east of Kingsmill), parish of Ballyclog.
RECORDS OF PARISH OF ARDTREA
Other than the baptisms, marriages and burials listed elsewhere, the records of the Parish of Ardtrea, County Tyrone, contain the following references to McReynolds families.
- The records contain lists of parishioners who were confirmed. At a meeting in Magherafelt on May 19, 1824, William McReynolds aged 16 and Sarah McReynolds aged 15, both of Moneymore, were confirmed. William McReynolds of Moneymore, aged 40, was confirmed at a meeting in Cookstown on May 20, 1824. Martha McReynolds was confirmed on Sep.20, 1843.
- It is clear that the McReynolds family members were active in parochial affairs throughout recorded history. A few extracts from the vestry minutes will illustrate this. In the 1820s and 30s William McReynolds was a member of the select vestry. In an entry dated Sep.23, 1822, members of the parish were appointed from each of the townlands ``To watch for unmarried women that are with child and to take measures to prevent their children becoming chargeable on the parish ''. William McReynolds was appointed for the townland of Edernagh.
- In the years 1859/60/61 extensive repairs were made to the parish church and Thomas McReynolds of Edernagh made substantial contributions. In 1859/60 he gave three pounds and fifteen shillings toward repairs. In 1860/61 he gave one pound toward lighting of the church; to the same cause widow McReynolds gave ten shillings and Anthony and Robert McReynolds each gave one shilling. In a collection in March 1865, Mary McReynolds contributed five shillings and six pence.
- During the 1880s and 1890s two Thomas McReynolds, one of Kingsmill and the other of Ballymaguire, were members of the select vestry. Thomas of Kingsmill was also a member in the 1870s. This tradition continued; a Mr. A. McReynolds signed the minutes of the select vestry in 1902 and Thomas Alexander McReynolds of Kingsmills did the same in 1903.
RECORDS OF PARISH OF CLONOE
The records of the Parish of Clonoe, County Tyrone contains the following references to McReynolds.
- In 1804, Anthony McReynolds was one of two captains in charge of the Aghalarg and Clonoe yeomanry having been so appointed on Oct.31, 1796. Two of the lieutenants were John and Ham. McReynolds, appointed Oct.23, 1803.
- On Apr.3, 1804, Robert McReynolds paid 4 shillings and 4 pence for the Old Church Yard Gate.
- On Mar.28, 1837, Apr.16, 1838, and Apr.20, 1840, as well as in 1841 and 1842 but not in 1843 Rowley McReynolds, Snr., was appointed the overseer of public houses for the townland of Cloghog. James McReynolds was also so appointed on May 17, 1837.
- The list of churchwardens contains many McReynolds:
1785 Thomas McReynolds 1787 Robert McReynolds 1788, 1789 John McReynolds of Cloghog 1795 Robert McReynolds of Cloghog 1800, 1801, 1802 Robert McReynolds of Ballybeg 1804 Thomas McReynolds 1806 James McReynolds 1810 Samuel McReynolds of Cloghog 1811 John McReynolds of Cloghog 1812 Robert McReynolds of Ballybeg 1824 Thomas McReynolds of Ballybeg 1825, 1826 John McReynolds of Cloghog 1827 James McReynolds of Cloghog 1852 Robert McReynolds of Cloghog
- The following members of the Parish of Clonoe were confirmed at Stewartstown on May 18, 1824: Letitia McReynolds, aged 16, and Elizabeth McReynolds, 15, both of Cloghog, Phoebe, 20, and Jane, 18, McReynolds of Ballybeg and Hugh, 16, and Rowley, 15, McReynolds of Cloghog.
- James McReynolds of Cloghog and Mary and Phoebe McReynolds of Ballybeg were confirmed at Stewartstown on Mar.27, 1828.
- Elizabeth McReynolds of Cloghog was confirmed at Stewartstown on Oct.19, 1833.
- John, Robert and Maryanne McReynolds of Cloghog were confirmed at Stewartstown on Sep.9, 1837.
- Samuel, 16, and Arabella, 14, McReynolds of Cloghog were confirmed on Aug.5, 1840.
- William, 16, Andrew T., 15, and Eliza J., 14, McReynolds were confirmed on Sep.14, 1846.
- Mary Ann, 19, Ellen, 17, and Elizabeth(?), 15, McReynolds of Cloghog were confirmed on Jun.26, 1856.
- Elizabeth McReynolds of Ballybeg was confirmed on Aug.27, 1849.
- Matilda McReynolds, 14, was confirmed on Oct.25, 1859. The records of the Masonic Lodge held in Cloghog on Mar.1, 1770, lists John McRandles (Mar.1, 1770), Thomas McRandles (Mar.1, 1770) and Robert McRandles (Dec.23, 1780).
RECORDS OF THE PARISH OF DERRYLORAN
In addition to the lists of baptisms, marriages and burials, the records of the Parish of Derryloran also contain the following information:
- The list of those confirmed on Mar.25, 1828, includes Margaret Reynolds of Loy aged 20.
The Beresford Arms in Armagh first became a hotel in 1769 and was initially known as the ``King's Head''. Charles McReynolds became manager in 1792 and renamed it ``Molyneaux Arms''. Charles died in 1796.
MISCELLANEOUS PRONI RECORDS
- Letters [PRONI D664/D/222/A to D] from Armagh dated March 1863 from a land steward give details of an attempt to settle the affairs of a Mr. and Mrs. McReynolds of Ardtrea. ``I received a list of McReynolds debts from Mr. Jones, the curate at Ardtrea, upwards of a month ago. It amounts to 280 pounds and I know that McReynolds owes his sister about 50 pounds in addition. I annex a copy of the list .....''. ``McReynolds wife wishes to emigrate and leave him. He is a sort of imbecile (aged about 45). He might well give her what would take her out of the country (say 10 or 15 pounds)....''.
- Letters [PRONI T2304] dated 1842 and 1843 from James Sloan (had a brother George) of Nauvoo City, Illinois to his cousin Andrew T. McReynolds of Detroit, Michigan, extolling the virtues of the Mormon faith which he had recently adopted.
- Lease [PRONI D645/102] dated 1792 involves Charles McReynolds of Dungannon.
- Lease [PRONI D476/64] dated 1796 involves Anthony McReynolds of Stewartstown.
- Lease [PRONI D476/64] dated May 19, 1796, from Thomas Morris, Lisburn, to Anthony McReynolds, Stewartstown, of land in Ballygittle, County Tyrone, measuring 17 acres at a rent of 8 pounds and 4 shillings.
- Marriage settlement [PRONI T877/231] dated Sep.1, 1804, involves Wm. Shuter of Drummond, James McReynolds of Coash, David Shuter (son of Wm.), Sarah McReynolds (daughter of James) and Oliver McReynolds and refers to land in Drummond. Another marriage settlement [PRONI T877/249] dated Jan.5, 1807, is between Samuel King of Mullybrannon and Martha McReynolds of Coash, County Tyrone, and involves land in Mullybrannon.
- A lease [Ranfurly Deeds, PRONI D235/63-64] dated Nov., 1809, from Thos. Knox, Hannyngton, Dungannon to James McReynolds, Coash, yeoman, involves land at Mullaghteage, parish of Killyman and at Gortshalgan. Further leases [PRONI D235/89-92] dated 1825 also involve James McReynolds of Mullaghteage. James McReynolds of Mullaghteige, County Tyrone, died on Mar.13, 1833, and left a will [PRONI T877/443 and D476/219].
- Lease [PRONI D476/94] dated 1807 involves John McReynolds of Dungannon.
- Lease [PRONI D474/64] dated Jul.25, 1820, from Arthur Annesley to William Lee and James McReynolds of Magheramulkenny, County Tyrone. Lease for one life or 21 years at 16 pounds, 4 shillings and 2 pence.
- A lease [PRONI D598/4] dated 1875/76 from the estate of John G. Dunbar of Ardtrea to Thomas McReynolds for land in Edernagh, Enniskillen, etc.
- Quaker family records of births, marriages and deaths for the Grange, County Tyrone, community [PRONI T1062/42/12] cover the period 1653-1812 and include James and Mary McReynolds.
Tamlaght Parish Church, Coagh, County Tyrone:
BROWN. In loving memory of Mary Ellen Brown died Mar.11, 1953, aged 77 years and her daughters: Mary Ann McReynolds nee Brown died Jun.7, 1942, aged 36 years. Elizabeth Louisa Brown died Apr.23, 1976, aged 65 years. Isabella Moffitt nee Brown died Dec.14, 1985, aged 78 years.
St.Andrew's Parish Church, Ardtrea, County Tyrone:
McREYNOLDS. In loving memory of Lottie Elizabeth died Oct.26, 1978, aged 76 years. Also her husband William died Dec.18, 1982, aged 82 years.
Albany Presbyterian Church near Killycolpy, County Tyrone:
McREYNOLDS. McReynolds, Dromore (new).
St.Colman's Church, Ardboe, County Tyrone:
McREYNOLDS. In loving memory of Ellen C (Ella) McReynolds, Tamlaghtmore, died 29th Oct 1987 aged 46 years. Her husband Thomas Oliver died 28th May 2002 aged 77 years. “The Lord is my shepherd”.
St.Michael's Parish Church, Clonoe, County Tyrone:
McREYNOLDS. Erected by Martha McReynolds of Cloghog in loving memory of her brothers and sisters: Anthony died Jan.5, 1937, aged 75. John died Jan.26, 1940, aged 72. Mary Anne died Jan.22, 1942, aged 66. James died May 10, 1942, aged 78. Winifred, his daughter, died Feb.20, 1924, aged 20. Also the above Martha McReynolds died Sep.12, 1956.
McREYNOLDS. Erected by Sarah McReynolds of Cloghog in loving memory of her husband Robert McReynolds died Mar.4, 1890, aged 69. Also Sarah McReynolds who died Apr.18, 1913, aged 63 and their son William who died Dec.3, 1934, aged 64 and his wife Sarah Anne who died Jul.3, 1936, aged 60.
Old Donaghcloney Graveyard, near Tullyhogue, County Tyrone:
McREYNOLDS. Ellie McReynolds Aug.1, 1981.
STEWARTSTOWN WAR MEMORIAL
The Stewartstown War Memorial in the center of the village includes the name of H. McReynolds of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in the list of those who died in the 1914-18 war.
An E. McReynolds, aged 15, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1822.
On Mar.6, 1848, John McReynolds of County Tyrone, aged 14, was convicted of vagrancy and was sentenced to transportation to Australia for seven years failing bail. According to a contact Bill McReynolds made in Australia, John was transported to Van Dieman's Land (Tasmania), not the worst fate that could have happened to him. Apparently, he soon got his ticket-of-leave, married and had daughters.
- James McReynolds of Mullaghteague, County Tyrone, died on Mar.13, 1833, and left the following will [PRONI T877/443]. The relationships in this will are confusing. The majority of the estate is divided between his son-in-law Robert King of Mullybrannon (just south of Moygashel), his grandson-in-law William McCrum of Coash (about 3 miles east of Dungannon) and his grandson James King, son of Henry King. To Robert King and Charlotte King he leaves farms in Gortshalgon (2 miles east of Dungannon) and Drumgose. To granddaughter Mary Shutor, now the wife of William McCrumb, he leaves land in Renaghan. To daughter Martha Fielding (who has sons John, Charles and Thomas Fielding) he leaves the farm in Mullaghteague. To grandson Robert King, son of Henry King, he leaves a farm in Lower Meenagh and premises in Cloghog (2 miles east of Coalisland). He makes a bequest to James King, son of Henry King. To granddaughter Mary King, now wife of John Pringle he leaves 50 pounds. To granddaughter Sarah King he leaves 50 pounds. To son-in-law Robert King and granddaughter Mary McCrumb he leaves land in Drummurrer. To son-in-law David Shutor he leaves 5 shillings. To sons-in-law William McCrumb and Charles Fielding he each leaves 5 pence and no more.
- William McReynolds of Edernagh, County Tyrone, died in 1845, is interred in Ballyclog and left the following will [PRONI T877/521]. In this he leaves 350 pounds to each of his four daughters Elizabeth, Martha, Sarah and Mary. Having made provision for his wife Mary, formerly Dilworth, he divides his estate equally between his two sons Thomas and Anthony McReynolds. The estate includes land in Edernagh, Lisboy, Liscausy and Mullaghglass. His neighbours John Blair of Edernagh and Samuel McReynolds of Dromore are appointed executors.
- Thomas McReynolds died on Mar.12, 1860, at Ballymaguire and left the following will [PRONI LPC 856]. His daughter Sarah McReynolds receives 500 pounds and must live with her brother Thomas McReynolds until she comes of age. Daughter Jane McReynolds of Kingsmill receives 150 pounds. Wife Mary McReynolds receives 18 pounds per annum and other provisions for her wellbeing. Otherwise he leaves his entire estate including lands in Drumbulgin, Ballymaguire, Kilsally and Mullaghglass to his son Thomas McReynolds. He appoints his neighbour John Chambers and his son Thomas executors of his will. One witness to the will is Samuel McReynolds.
- A Thomas McReynolds of Ballymaguire is named in a grant of administration dated 1895 [PRONI LPC 857].
This survey of land holdings, dating from about 1860, contains the following references to the McReynolds in eastern County Tyrone (a/r/p stands for acres/roods/perches and values are given in pounds.shillings.pence).
Name: Property (No.): Area: Land House (a/r/p) value: value: UNION OF DUNGANNON: Parish of Artrea, Townland of Edernagh, from Rev. James Jones: Thomas McReynolds Hs.,off.,flax,corn- 40/1/30 37.5.0 22.0.0 mill,kiln+land(5A+B) 6/1/25 4.10.0 Parish of Artrea, Townland of Enniskillen, from Rev. James Jones: Thomas McReynolds Caretaker's Hs. 16/2/0 11.15.0 0.15.0 + land (18A+B) 1/2/0 1.5.0 From Thomas McReynolds: Kennedy Doogan House 0.10.0 Patrick Leonard House 0.10.0 Thomas Corran House 0.15.0 Parish of Artrea, Townland of Lisboy, from Rev. James Jones: Anthony McReynolds Land (7+7a) 24/3/15 21.10.0 From Anthony McReynolds: Catherine Devlin House 0.10.0 Parish of Artrea, Townland of Liscausy, from Rev. James Jones: Anthony McReynolds Land (4,4a+b) 14/3/25 14.0.0 From Anthony McReynolds: Anne Johnston House 0.10.0 Unoccupied House 0.10.0 Parish of Artrea, Townland of Tullyweery, from John Sloan: Robert McReynolds House (2b) 0.10.0 Elizabeth House (2c) 0.10.0 McReynolds Parish of Arboe, Townland of Feagh, from Earl of Castlestuart: (Just south of Dromore. Note Samuel has no house here.) Samuel McReynolds Land (3A) 0/3/0 0.15.0 (3B) 17/1/16 16.5.0 From Samuel McReynolds: Philip Carr House (3Aa) 0.10.0 Robert Mitchell House (3Ab) 0.10.0 Unoccupied House (3Ac) 0.5.0 Parish of Arboe, Townland of Ballynargan, from Rev. W. Chichester O'Neill: Anthony McReynolds Hs.,off.+ land (5a) 44/1/3 36.10.0 3.10.0 From Anthony McReynolds: Robert Wyley House (5b) 0.5.0 Parish of Arboe, Townland of Ballymaguire, from Trustees of John Mackey: Thomas McReynolds Hs.,off.+ land(6A) 16/1/25 14.5.0 1.15.0 (6B) 2/2/10 2.5.0 (6C) 3/0/5 0.5.0 From Thomas McReynolds: Eliza Waters House (6Ab) 0.5.0 Sarah Sands House (6Ac) 0.5.0 Parish of Arboe, Townland of Carnan, from the Earl of Castlestuart: (Just south of Feagh. Note Samuel has no house here.) Samuel McReynolds Land (2) 1/0/10 0.10.0 Parish of Arboe, Townland of Dromore, from James A. Caulfield: (Next to Tamlaghtmore, southwest of Arboe.) Samuel McReynolds Hs.,off.+land (1a) 42/3/20 42.0.0 7.0.0 Martha McReynolds Hs.,off.+land (2a) 13/3/20 14.15.0 3.10.0 From Samuel McReynolds: John Morris Hs.+offices (1b) 0.15.0 Parish of Arboe, Townland of Mullaghglass, from Richard Babington: Thomas McReynolds Caretaker's hs. 9/3/15 7.5.0 1.0.0 + land (16) Parish of Ballyclog, Townland of Kilsally, from Trustees of John Mackey: Thomas McReynolds Land (2) 5/3/10 3.0.0 Joseph McReynolds Hs.,off.+ land (5) 12/1/35 6.0.0 1.0.0 Oliver McReynolds Hs.,off.+ land (6A) 14/2/5 13.10.0 2.0.0 Samuel McReynolds Caretaker's hs. 23/3/32 21.5.0 0.5.0 + land (11a) From Thomas McReynolds: Thomas Sands Land (3) 1/3/10 1.0.0 Land (6b) 14/0/5 6.10.0 From Oliver McReynolds: Hugh Best House (6Ba) 0.5.0 Hugh Graham House (6Bb) 0.5.0 From Samuel McReynolds: James McCord House (11b) 1.0.0 William Martin House (11c) 0.15.0 Parish of Donaghenry, Boyd's Farm, Hillhead, Stewartstown, from John Lee: Delilah McReynolds House + yard (11) 2.0.0 Parish of Clonoe, Townland of Aughagranna, from Rev. Dr. Kennedy: Samuel McReynolds Hs.,off.+ land 14/3/35 8.15.0 1.0.0 Andrew T. McReynolds Hs.,off.+ land 9/2/30 7.0.0 1.0.0 Parish of Clonoe, Townland of Cloghog, from Viscount Valentia: Robert McReynolds Hs.,off.+ land 10/0/30 7.15.0 1.0.0 John McReynolds Hs.,off.+ yard 0/0/20 1.0.0 Land 10/3/10 8.15.0 James McReynolds Hs.,off.+ land 9/0/10 7.10.0 1.3.0 0/3/20 0.2.0 Rawley McReynolds Hs.,off.+ land 12/0/30 10.5.0 2.0.0 5/3/5 3.5.0 3/3/10 1.5.0 Parish of Clonoe, Townland of Magheramulkenny, from Robert King: Charles Fielding Hs.,off.+ land 3/0/10 2.15.0 1.5.0 Parish of Clonoe, Townland of Meenagh, from Viscount Valentia: Robert King Hs.,off.,flax mill, 2/0/0 2.0.0 store + land 31/2/25 25.15.0 28.0.0 4/3/25 2.15.0 Parish of Clonoe, Townland of Aughamullan, from the Commissioners of Endowed Schools: Cornelius McReynolds Hs.,off.+ land 7/3/15 5.15.0 0.15.0 Parish of Clonoe, Townland of Ballybeg, from James Gunning: Alice McReynolds Hs.,off.+ land 1/1/30 1.6.0 1/1/30 1.6.0 0.10.0 0/3/20 0.18.0 James McReynolds House 0.5.0 (from Patrick Campbell) Parish of Clonoe, Townland of Derryloughan, from the Commissioners of Endowed Schools: Charles McReynolds House + land 5/2/10 2.5.0 0.5.0 William McReynolds House (from Charles McReynolds) 0.5.0
- 1824 Piggott and Company Provincial Directory, Stewartstown:
- Anthony McReynolds, gentleman, attorney, Gorteray.
- James McReynolds, publican and inn-keeper.
- 1856 Slater's Directory, Stewartstown:
- Samuel McReynolds of Dromore, gentleman.
- Thomas McReynolds of Kingsmill, gentleman.
- 1863-64 Belfast and Ulster Directory, Stewartstown:
- Samuel McReynolds of Dromore, gentleman.
- Thomas McReynolds of Kingsmill, gentleman.
- 1880 Belfast and Ulster Directory, Stewartstown:
- Thomas McReynolds of Kingsmill, gentleman.
CENSUS OF 1901
The 1901 Census contains the following references to McReynolds families in eastern County Tyrone. Abbreviations: Pres = Presbyterian, Meth = Methodist, CofE = Church of Ireland, RW = read and write, RO = read only, NR = neither read nor write, UM = unmarried, MA = married, WI = widower or widow, HD = husband or head, WI = wife, SO = son, DA = daughter, NE = nephew or neice, AU = aunt, UN = uncle, SI = sister, BR = brother, SL = son-in-law, DL = daughter-in-law, GS = grandson, GD = granddaughter, SE = servant, BO = boarder, CoTyr = County Tyrone.
Townland of Edernagh, Parish of Artrea: Thomas Alexander McR. HD CofE RW 35 Farmer MA CoTyr Mary E. McReynolds WI CofE RW 37 Farmer's wife MA CoTyr Thomas Alexander McR. SO CofE RW 8 Scholar UM CoTyr Edward Norman McR. SO CofE RW 6 Scholar UM CoTyr Austin McReynolds SO CofE NR 4 - UM CoTyr Mabel G. McReynolds DA CofE NR 2 - UM CoTyr William McReynolds SO CofE NR 1 - UM CoTyr Samuel McReynolds SO CofE NR 1m - UM CoTyr Mary McGregor VI CofE RW 77 Retired farmer WI CoAnt Mary Ann Vallely SE RoCa RW 17 Dom. servant UM CoTyr Townland of Edernagh, Parish of Artrea: Jane McReynolds HD CofE RW 71 - WI CoTyr Anne S. McReynolds DA CofE RW 40 Seamstress UM CoTyr Townland of Edernagh, Parish of Artrea: Samuel McReynolds HD CofE RW 33 Farmer UM CoTyr Townland of Tullyraw, Parish of Artrea: Albert Edward McR. HD CofE RW 28 Grocer, dealer MA CoTyr Ellen McReynolds WI CofE RW 26 - MA CoTyr Townland of Ballynafeagh, Parish of Arboe: Oliver McReynolds HD CofE RW 65 Farmer MA CoTyr Thomas McReynolds SO CofE RW 25 Farmer's son NM CoTyr James McReynolds SO CofE RW 23 Farmer's son NM CoTyr Oliver McReynolds SO CofE RW 21 Farmer's son NM CoTyr Eliza McReynolds DA CofE RW 19 Farmer's dau. NM CoTyr Susan B. McReynolds DA CofE RW 17 Farmer's dau. NM CoTyr Townland of Drumard, Parish of Arboe: Matilda Abernethy HD CofE RW 73 Farmer WI CoTyr Thomas Abernethy SO CofE RW 38 Farmer's son NM CoTyr Ellen Abernethy DA CofE RW 33 Farmer's dau. NM CoTyr Mary Anne McReynolds NE CofE RW 18 Farmer's dau. NM CoTyr Thomas Norris SE Pres RW 23 Farm servant NM CoTyr Townland of Ballymaguire, Parish of Arboe: Sarah McReynolds HD CofE RW 33 Farmer NM CoTyr Charlotte A. McR. SI CofE RW 37 - NM CoTyr Harriet A. McReynolds SI CofE RW 27 Seamstress NM CoTyr Mary Mitchell SE CofE RW 23 Servant NM CoTyr Robert Smith SE Pres RW 55 Farm labourer NM CoTyr Townland of Dromore, Parish of Arboe: Oliver McReynolds HD Pres RW 53 Farmer MA CoTyr Mary E. McReynolds WI Pres RW 51 Farmer's wife MA CoTyr William J. McReynolds SO Pres RW 21 Farmer NM CoTyr Mary Martha McR. DA Pres RW 19 Milliner NM CoTyr Thomas Oliver McR. SO Pres RW 18 Farmer NM CoTyr Samuel David McR. SO Pres RW 17 Scholar NM CoTyr Margaret Bell McR. DA Pres RW 16 Scholar NM CoTyr Emily McReynolds DA Pres RW 15 Scholar NM CoTyr Charlotte McReynolds DA Pres RW 13 Scholar NM CoTyr Robert McReynolds SO Pres RW 11 Scholar NM CoTyr Edmund McReynolds SO Pres RO 5 Scholar NM CoTyr Townland of Kilsally, Parish of Ballyclog: Oliver McReynolds HD Chri RW 80 Farmer WI CoTyr Matthew McReynolds SO Chri RW 47 Farmer NM CoTyr Margaret McReynolds DA Chri RW 43 Farmer NM CoTyr Matilda McReynolds DA Chri RW 42 Farmer NM CoTyr Alexander McReynolds SO Chri RW 40 Farmer NM CoTyr Townland of Tullagh, Parish of Derryloran: Margaret McReynolds HD CofI NR 65 Agri. labourer WI CoTyr John McReynolds SO CofI RW 35 Agri. labourer NM CoTyr Hannah McReynolds DA CofI NR 30 Yarnbundler NM CoTyr Hannah McReynolds GD CofI NR 19 Linen weaver NR CoTyr Margaret McReynolds GD CofI RW 13 Linen weaver NR CoTyr James's Street, Cookstown, Parish of Derryloran: In the boarding house of: Helen W. Nunenkamp HD CofI RW 44 Landlady MA CoTyr Elizabeth Martha McR. BO Pres RW 19 Milliner NM CoTyr Townland of Ross, Parish of Donaghenry: Hugh McReynolds HD Pres RW 34 Farm servant MA CoTyr Jane McReynolds WI Pres RW 38 - MA CoTyr William McReynolds SO Pres RO 7 - UM CoTyr Hamilton McReynolds SO Pres NR 4 - UM CoTyr Jane Boyd McReynolds DA Pres NR 2 - UM CoTyr Cassie McReynolds DA Pres NR 1m - UM CoTyr Townland of Rouskyroe, Parish of Donaghenry: Jane Smith HD Pres RW 62 Farmer WI CoTyr William Glover SO Pres RW 32 Farmer's son UM CoTyr Martha McReynolds DA Pres RW 28 - MA CoTyr Ellan McReynolds GD Pres RW 8 Scholar UM CoTyr Townland of Cloghog, Parish of Clonoe: Thomas McReynolds HD CofI RW 47 Farmer MA CoTyr Lizzie McReynolds WI CofI RW 42 Farmer's wife MA CoTyr Samuel McReynolds SO CofI RW 22 Farmer UM CoTyr Charlotte McReynolds DA CofI RW 17 UM CoTyr Sarah McReynolds DA CofI RW 10 UM CoTyr Thomas McReynolds SO CofI RW 8 UM CoTyr Townland of Cloghog, Parish of Clonoe: Sarah McReynolds HD CofI RW 58 Farmer's wife WI CoTyr James McReynolds SO CofI RW 35 Farmer UM CoTyr John McReynolds SO CofI RW 32 Farmer UM CoTyr William McReynolds SO CofI RW 30 Farmer UM CoTyr Mary A. McReynolds DA CofI RW 26 Farmer's dau. UM CoTyr Jane McReynolds DA CofI RW 24 Farmer's dau. UM CoTyr Martha McReynolds DA CofI RW 20 Farmer's dau. UM CoTyr Townland of Lisaclare, Parish of Clonoe: William McReynolds HD RoCa NR 65 Farm lab. WI CoTyr Patrick McReynolds SO RoCa NR 28 Farm lab. UM CoTyr
CENSUS OF 1911
The 1911 Census contains the following references to McReynolds families. Abbreviations: Pres = Presbyterian, Meth = Methodist, CofE = Church of Ireland, RoCa = Roman Catholic, SoFr = Society of Friends, RW = read and write, RO = read only, NR = neither read nor write, UM = unmarried, MA = married, WI = widow or widower, HD = husband or head, WI = wife, SO = son, DA = daughter, NE = nephew or neice, AU = aunt, UN = uncle, SI = sister, BR = brother, SL = son-in-law, DL = daughter-in-law, GS = grandson, GD = granddaughter, SE = servant, BO = boarder, VI = visitor, CoTyr = County Tyrone.
Name Age Pos. Relig. B-place Occupation Lit. Marr. House 5 in Edernagh (Coagh, Tyrone): Thomas Alexander McReynolds 45 HD CofE CoTyr Farmer RW MA Mary Eliza McReynolds 48 WI CofE CoDer RW MA [Married 19 years, children born 8, children living 8] Thos Alex McReynolds 18 SO CofE Scotland Farmers Son RW UM Ed Norman McReynolds 15 SO CofE CoTyr Farmers Son RW UM Austin McReynolds 14 SO CofE CoTyr Farmers Son RW UM Mabel G McReynolds 13 DA CofE CoTyr Farmers Daughter RW UM William McReynolds 11 SO CofE CoTyr Scholar RW UM George Ernest McReynolds 10 SO CofE CoTyr Scholar RW UM Albert Edward McReynolds 8 SO CofE CoTyr Scholar RW UM Ivy Violet McReynolds 6 DA CofE CoTyr Scholar RW UM House 11 in Brook Street, South Side (Dungannon, Tyrone): James Quinn 29 HD CofE CoTyr Labourer RW MA Mary Quinn 29 WI CofE CoTyr RW MA [Married 5 years, children born 2, children living 2] James Quinn 5 SO CofE CoTyr NR UM Samuel John Quinn 3 SO CofE CoTyr UM Essie Anderson 26 RE CofE CoTyr Servant RO UM Margaret McReynolds 69 BO CofE CoTyr NR WI House 4 in Tievenagh (Coagh, Tyrone): Albert E McReynolds 37 HD CofE CoTyr General Labourer Unemployed RW MA Ellen McReynolds 35 WI CofE CoTyr RW MA [Married 11 years, children born 3, children living 1] Herbert Stanley G McReynolds 5 SO CofE CoTyr Scholar RW Charlotte Ferguson 64 VI Pres CoDer RW WI Maria S E Ferguson 19 VI Pres CoDer RW UM House 3 in Tullyraw (Coagh, Tyrone): Annie Sophia McReynolds 49 HD CofE CoTyr Income From Interest RW UM on invested money Jane Kelso 10 VI CofE CoTyr Scholar RW UM House 6 in Tullagh (Cookstown Rural, Tyrone): John McReynolds 58 HD CofE CoTyr Labour RW MA Marget McReynolds 79 MO CofE CoTyr NR WI Hannagh McReynolds 54 SI CofE CoTyr NR UM Maggie McReynolds 20 NE CofE CoTyr Weaver RW UM Maggie McKee 5 GD CofE CoTyr NR UM House 1 in Ballynafeagh (Ballyclog, Tyrone): Oliver McReynolds 62 HD CofE CoTyr Farmer RW MA Thomas McReynolds 30 SO CofE CoTyr Farmers Son RW UM James McReynolds 28 SO CofE CoTyr Farmers Son RW UM Eliza Martha McReynolds 26 DA CofE CoTyr Farmers Daughter RW UM Susan Bell McReynolds 24 DA CofE CoTyr Farmers Daughter RW UM Maud Elizabeth McReynolds 7 GD CofE CoTyr Scholar RW UM House 20 in Dromore (Killycolpy, Tyrone): Mary Eliza McReynolds 58 HD Pres CoTyr Farmer RW WI William John McReynolds 33 SO Pres CoTyr Farmer RW UM Samuel David McReynolds 27 SO Pres CoTyr Farmer RW UM Magaret McReynolds 25 DA Pres CoTyr RW UM Charlotte McReynolds 22 DA Pres CoTyr RW UM Robert McReynolds 20 SO Pres CoTyr Farmers Son RW UM Edmund McReynolds 15 SO Pres CoTyr Scholar RW UM Benjamin McIntire 23 SE Pres CoTyr Farm Servant NR UM House 12 in Kilsally (Killycolpy, Tyrone): Matthew McReynolds 57 HD Chri CoTyr Farmer RW UM Matilda McReynolds 52 SI Chri CoTyr RW UM Alexander McReynolds 50 BR Chri CoTyr Farmer RW UM House 20 in Donaghey (Stewartstown, Tyrone): Hugh McReynolds 44 HD CofE CoTyr Agricultural Labourer NR MA Jane McReynolds 50 WI CofE CoTyr RW MA [Married 18 years, children born 4, children living 4] William McReynolds 17 SO CofE CoTyr Agricultural Labourer RW UM Hamilton McReynolds 14 SO CofE CoTyr Scholar RW UM Jane Boyd McReynolds 12 DA CofE CoTyr Scholar RW UM Catherine McReynolds 10 DA CofE CoTyr Scholar RW UM George Spratt 45 BO CofE CoTyr Cotton Weaver RO MA Elizabeth Spratt 15 NE CofE Scotland General Servant RW UM House 2 in Rourkyro (Stewartstown, Tyrone): Jane Smith 78 HD Pres CoTyr Farmer RW WI Martha McReynolds 45 DA Pres CoTyr Farmers Daughter RW MA [Married 18 years, children born 1, children living 1] Ellen May McReynolds 17 GD Pres CoTyr RW UM House 6 in Tullagh (Cookstown Rural, Tyrone): John McReynolds 58 HD CofE CoTyr Labour RW MA Marget McReynolds 79 MO CofE CoTyr NR WI Hannagh McReynolds 54 SI CofE CoTyr NR UM Maggie McReynolds 20 NE CofE CoTyr Weaver RW UM Maggie McKee 5 GD CofE CoTyr NR UM House 1 in Clohog (Meenagh, Tyrone): James McReynolds 47 HD CofE CoTyr Farmer RW MA Rebecca Jane McReynolds 39 WI CofE CoTyr RW MA [Married 10 years, children born 4, children living 4] Dorothy Williamson McReynolds 9 DA CofE CoTyr Scholars RW UM Winnfred McReynolds 8 DA CofE CoTyr Scholar RW UM Adalin McReynolds 5 DA CofE CoTyr Scholar RW UM Mary Maggie McReynolds 3 DA CofE CoTyr Scholar NR UM Robt Ack Williamson 69 RE CofE CoTyr Farmer RW UM House 2 in Clohog (Meenagh, Tyrone): Sarah McReynolds 66 HD CofE CoTyr Farmer RW WI [Married 49 years, children born 7, children living 7] John McReynolds 41 SO CofE CoTyr Farmers Son RW UM Mary McReynolds 36 DA CofE CoTyr Farmers Daughter RW UM Martha McReynolds 30 DA CofE CoTyr Farmers Daughter RW UM House 5 in Clohog (Meenagh, Tyrone): Samuel John McReynolds 32 HD CofE CoTyr Labourer RW MA [Married 2 years] Mary Ann McReynolds 27 WI CofE CoTyr RW MA House 7 in Clohog (Meenagh, Tyrone): William McReynolds 41 HD CofE CoTyr Farmer RW MA Sarah Ann McReynolds 34 WI CofE CoTyr RW MA [Married 9 years, children born 4, children living 3] Violet McReynolds 8 DA CofE CoTyr Scholars RW UM William James McReynolds 4 SO CofE CoTyr NR UM Anthoney McReynolds SO CofE CoTyr NR UM House 13 in Clohog (Meenagh, Tyrone): Thomas James McReynolds 58 HD CofE CoTyr Farmer RO MA Elizabeth McReynolds 54 WI CofE CoTyr RW MA [Married 34 years, children born 4, children living 4] Thomas James William McReynolds 18 SO CofE CoTyr Farmers Son RW UM House 5 in Eary Lower (Ballyclog, Tyrone): Charles Anderson 55 HD Pres CoTyr Farmer RW MA Emily F Anderson 40 WI Pres CoTyr RW MA [Married 8 years, children born 4, children living 3] Charles Norman M R Anderson 5 SO Pres CoTyr NR UM David Alexander Anderson 3 SO Pres CoTyr NR UM Victor Anderson 2 SO Pres CoTyr NR UM David Anderson 57 BR Pres CoTyr Farmer RW UM Alexander Anderson 53 BR Pres CoTyr Farmer RW UM Harriet A McReynolds 36 VI CofE CoTyr RW UM Alexander Cowden 27 SE CofE CoTyr Farm Servant RW UM Eliza Ann Weir 40 SE Pres CoTyr General Servant Domestic RW UM Rose Donaghy 15 SE RoCa CoTyr Nurse Domestic Servant RW UM House 2 in Dromore (Killycolpy, Tyrone): William Harbison 83 HD Pres CoTyr Farmer RW UM Oliver McReynolds 27 NE CofE CoTyr Farmer RW MA Mary Harbison McReynolds 42 NE CofE CoTyr Housekeeper RW MA James Johnston 6 NE Pres CoTyr Scholar RW UM House 27 in Creenagh (Tullyniskane, Tyrone): Sarah Burns 64 HD CofE CoTyr Living on Interest of Money RW UM Sarah McReynolds 43 VI CofE CoTyr Living on Interest of Money RW UM House 28 in Farlough (Tullyniskane, Tyrone): Margaret Lowry 81 HD CofE CoTyr Farmer RW WI Margaret Jane McReynolds 35 SE CofE CoTyr Cook Domestic Servant RW UM Isabella Givan 19 SE Pres CoTyr House Maid Domestic Servant RW UM
EMIGRATION AND TRANSPORTATION
- Thomas McReynolds, a 20-year-old single farmer from Stewartstown, arrived in New York on Oct.2, 1911, aboard the ``Caledonia'' from Londonderry. His father is Thomas McReynolds of Kingsmill, Stewartstown.
McREYNOLDS WAR DEAD
The following McReynolds are recorded in the records of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission:
- Thomas Alexander McReynolds, the son of Thomas A. and Mary E. McReynolds of Kingsmills, Ardtrea, Stewartstown, and a private in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment was killed on Oct.9, 1917, aged 25 and is rememered on the Tyne Cot Memorial.
- Robert McReynolds, the son of John and Margaret McReynolds of Dungannon and husband of Mary McReynolds (formerly Murray) of 12 Parker Street, Whiteinch, Glasgow, and a private in the Highland Light Infantry was killed on Aug.14, 1915, aged 29 and is buried in Lancashire Landing Cemetery.
- Patrick McReynolds, the son of John McReynolds of Killylane, Glenwherry, County Antrim, and the late Jane McReynolds and a rifleman in the Royal Irish Rifles was killed on Jul.31, 1917, aged 21 and is rememered on the Ypres Memorial.
- John Archibald McReynolds, the son of John J. and Mary J. McReynolds of 2 Chlorine Gardens, Belfast, and a serjeant in the Royal Irish Rifles was killed on Dec.22, 1915, aged 20 and is buried in Sucrerie Military Cemetery, Colincamps.
- Hamilton Patterson McReynolds, the youngest son of Hugh and Jean McReynolds of Killymoon Street, Cookstown, and a private in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers was killed on Mar.12, 1916, aged 19 and is buried in Doullens Communal Cemetery Extension.
Last updated 7/3/03.
Christopher E. Brennen