EARLS FAMILY CHRONICLES© Christopher Earls Brennen
THE CHILDREN OF JAMES AND SARAH EARLS OF AUGHAWARD
- John Earls (1801-1854), our ancestor, was the eldest son of James and Sarah Earls. It is believed that he was born at Aughaward in 1801, though in the 1851 census of Larne, County Antrim, John lists his birthplace as County Derry. He joined the Constabulary which at that time was a force under the jurisdiction of the Grand Juries responsible for settling disputes, collecting the cess and other duties. John Earls moved to Glenarm, County Antrim where on Feb.22, 1826 he was married by William Wolseley to Mary McCloy of Glenarm in St. Patrick's Church, Glenarm (for McCloy family see next chapter). At the time of his marriage John Earls was described as ``of the Constabulary, a Sub-constable''. He was 25 and she was 23. There is little doubt that as a member of the Constabulary he was the John Earls who at the Enniskillen Quarter Sessions, on 24 July 1829, brought a case against Edward McKeogh and James McCormick, one of four concerning assault against houses in the town of Tempo, and the only one to have been successful. "The traversers [respondents], who were Catholics, were indicted and convicted for an assault on the 28th day of May last." The prosecution wished to bring charges of felony against the others required that the country where the offence was committed should be in a state of disturbance and the prosecutor confirmed that "from one end of Fermanagh to the other the country was in a state of disturbance, amounting nearly to rebellion", yet the motion was denied. However it appears from the report that in the other cases the traversers were Orangemen and probably had relatives among the jury (The Times, 31 July 1829; see Appendix 3B, The Tempo Riots). In their early years, John seems to have served at least some of the time in Tyrone for their son, Thomas, was born in Gortin, County Tyrone, in 1835. However, their eldest son, Alexander, and their third son, James, were born in County Antrim in 1832 and 1837. Mary McCloy was a Unitarian or old Presbyterian and she refused to attend the Church of Ireland with John. Legend has it that they compromised and attended the Methodist Church. However Mary cheated a bit and also sent the family to the Unitarian Church on Sunday afternoon. In total, John Earls and Mary McCloy had eight children, Sally, Jane, Alexander, Thomas, James, Sarah Ann, William and John who are described in a later chapter. In the 1851 census of Larne, County Antrim, the family is listed as living in Pound Street, Larne, and John is termed a ``civil bill officer''. At that time their children Thomas, James, William and John are listed as living with their parents and it is noted that the first two could read and write and William could read. James, William and John were at school while Thomas was a ropemaker. Residing elsewhere on the night of the census were their daughter Jane, a servant in Larne, their son Alexander, a printer in Belfast, and their daughter Sarah. John Earls died in Larne, County Antrim in 1854. Tradition has it that he died as a result of injury received in settling a faction fight in Larne while doing his duty as a constable. His tombstone can be found in the graveyard of the Larne and Inver Parish Church and reads: ``Erected by Mary Earls in memory of her husband John Earls who died 29 Aug. 1854 aged 53 years. Also her second son Thomas Earls who died Jan.28, 1858 aged 23 years and of her eldest son Alex who died March 11, 1859. The above Mary Earls died May 5,1884 aged 75. Also her daughter Jane who died Feb.24, 1892 aged 62'' Mary (McCloy) Earls died on May 5, 1884 aged 75 at the home of her son James at Mullaghboy, Islandmagee, County Antrim.
- Henry Earls (1802-1899), the second son, became a farmer. He is listed in the Griffith Valuation as leasing 15acres 3r 20p valued at £13 10s 0d in the townland of Gortmessan from the Earl of Enniskillen. However the house leased by Henry Earles whose value was 10/-, is listed as unoccupied. The reason for this may also be found in the Griffiths Valuation for it lists as being rented by the Earl of Enniskillen to Henry Earls a house, offices and land measuring 12acres 2r 30p, value £10 (land) and £1 10s 0d (house) in the nearby townland of Woaghternerry and this land has a more valuable house. He also rented a further 2acres 1r valued at £1. In 1966, Stewart Burns, a farmer in Gortmessan, said that the Earls homestead in Gortmessan was a ruin by that time. On Aug.1, 1845 a Henry Earls was married to Sarah McMillan in Inishmacsaint Parish Church. Henry's father is given as James Earles, a farmer of Waternarry, and Sarah's as William McMillan, farmer of Innisway, Innismacsaint. Henry was of full age, Sarah was underage; witnesses were John Witherington and William McMillan. If this was indeed our Henry then Sarah must have died shortly thereafter (probably in childbirth) for on Aug.10, 1849, a Henry Earls, a farmer, son of James Earls and a widower of Waterinerry, was married to Mary Graham, a widow of Gortmessan, in the Registry Office in Enniskillen. On their marriage certificate his father is listed as James Earls, a farmer, and hers as James Graham, farmer. Henry signed but his wife made her mark. Note that the Grahams were long time residents in Gortmessan for the Hearth Money Rolls for County Fermanagh in 1788 include Robert, William and James Graham in the townland of ``Gortmessin'' and John Graham in the townland of ``Drumharrow''. We might speculate that Henry aquired his land in Gortmessan as a result of this second marriage but had little use for the house and continued to live in Watinery. Mary died on Mar.10, 1891, aged 76 and is buried at Garvary Parish Church where a pink granite gravestone reads: ``Erected by Henry Earles in memory of his wife Mary died 10th March 1891 aged 76 years'' Henry died aged 97, a farmer and widower on Dec.13, 1899, and was buried in Garvary graveyard. Probate of the Will of Henry Earls late of Gortmessan, County Fermanagh, farmer who died Dec.13, 1899, was granted at Armagh on Jan.27, 1900, to Thomas Wilson (junior), farmer; effects £47. In that will Henry left his estate to his daughter Mary Hall and one shilling to his son John. He had two children:
- John Earls was born in 1851 and was therefore the son of Henry Earls and his second wife Mary Graham. In 1966, Stewart Burns said that his father, James Burns, remembered John Earls. John had the reputation of being a great reader. He was also somewhat eccentric and his father left him just one shilling in his will, preferring to leave his estate to his daughter, Mary Hall. After his father's death and with fifty pounds borrowed from his sister, Mary, he went to Texas because, he said, that he had had a vision that the Indians needed a leader. John Earls of Gortmesson, born in 1851, aged 49, Irish, single, labourer, sailed from Londonderry to Boston on Jun.29, 1900, on the "Peruvian" (Second Cabin) arriving Jul.12, 1900, to destination Vinita I. T. (Allen Line, Capt. James Hamilton, 2021 tons). He had paid for his own passage, according to immigration documents, and had $95.
- Mary Earls was born about 1853 and must therefore have been the daughter of Henry and his second wife Mary Graham. On Dec.9, 1885, she was married to Joseph Hall in Garvary Church of Ireland, Enniskillen, Fermanagh. Mary Hall registered her father's death in 1899 and inherited virtually all of her father's estate. Joseph must have died before the 1901 Census for Mary Hall is listed as a widow and a farmer in the returns of that Census. Her farm in Gortmesson must have been the land passed from the Grahams to Henry Earls for the Census lists the land as belonging to Henry who had died shortly before. The Census also lists Mary as belonging to the Church of Ireland and being able to read and write. And it lists two men as living with Mary Hall. One is a ``farm servant'' named William Magill, a 21-year-old Roman Catholic who was born in Leitrim. The other is a 22-year-old visitor and farmer named John Spratt who was born in Fermanagh and belonged to the Church of Ireland. Later, in Jun. 1901, Mary married John Spratt. Mary Spratt died in Dec. 1905 in Enniskillen.
- Thomas Earls (1806-1885), the third son, became a carpenter. Thomas Earls, with 1acre 3r 0p is separately listed in Aughaward in the Title Applotment Books of 1832. The annual value or yearly rent of his land was £2 1s 10d and the tithe 2/-. Though not listed in the Enniskillen directory of 1839, Thomas appears in the Griffith Valuation of 1862 as renting offices and a timber yard on Water Street, Enniskillen (worth £8) from the Earl of Enniskillen. This was only two doors from the offices and yard of Charles Bianconi (1786-1875), the founder of public transport by coach in Ireland. He may be the Thos Earls, merchant, who signed the William Smith O'Brien Petition in Enniskillen in 1848-49 (CRF 1848 O 16/2/061 sig 39). It is not clear whether he is also the Thos. Earles (Sergeant) who according to Griffiths Valuation of 1862 leased house, offices and land in the townland of Aughaward totalling 7acres 2r 35p, value £5 15s (land) and 15 shillings (buildings). If he is the same Thomas Earls, this would account for the fact that he is identified as Thomas Earls of Aughaward on his death certificate. Thomas married a woman named Mary (1820-1889) and they had at least two children listed below. Thomas registered the death of his mother, Sarah, in 1864 and that of a John Earls of Market Street in 1878. He died at Aughaward on May 27, 1885 and is buried in Garvary. The headstone reads: ``Erected by Thomas Earls, Aughaward in loving memory of his father Thomas Earls who died 27 May 1885 aged 79 years and also his mother Mary Earls who died 14 Sept. 1889 aged 69 years. Thomas Earls died 29 Jan. 1904 aged 59 years. Also George Crozier who died 25 Nov.1924 and his wife Mary A. Crozier died 21 April 1930. A dearly loved mother and father.'' As this tells us, Mary Earls died on Sep.14, 1889, and is buried in Garvary. Strangely one Anne Earls died the same day at Aughaward. An inquest was held into Anne's death, the verdict being that she died of natural causes. Anne's relationship within the family is unknown at present. The children of Thomas and Mary Earls:
- Thomas Earls (1845-1904) who erected the above headstone became a woodworker like his father and worked in the premises on Water Street, Enniskillen. Thomas registered the death of his grandmother, Sarah, in 1864 and probably also that of a John Earls of Market Street in 1878. He never married. In the 1901 Census he is listed living in a boarding house at No.6 Water Street run by Susan Hanan, a 68-year-old widow. In that same return Thomas is listed as a 50-year-old cabinetmaker who belonged to the Church of Ireland. Thomas died on Jan.29, 1904 aged 59, and is buried at Garvary as the above gravestone inscription attests. Administration of the estate of Thomas Earls of Water Street, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, cabinet maker, was granted at Armagh on Aug.25, 1904, to Mary Anne Crozier, married woman (effects £365). In that will, Thomas left his estate to his two daughters, Mrs. Mary Anne Crozier and Mrs. Elizabeth Wallace, a fact that has yet to be reconciled with the present genealogy.
- Margaret Earls married William Kidney, a widower and innkeeper of Ballinamallard, parish of Magheracross, on Sep.24, 1852, in the Parish Church of Enniskillen. On the marriage certificate Margaret's father is listed as Thomas Earls of Aughaward. John Ball and John Earls witnessed the marriage.
Grave of Thomas & Mary Earls Mary Anne (Earls) Elizabeth (Crozier) Crozier in 1925 MacDonagh in 1925
(courtesy of Marilyn MacDonagh)
- Mary Anne Earls married George Crozier, a bachelor and a carpenter from Ashford, Derryvullen, on April 25, 1877, in the parish church of Enniskillen. On their marriage certificate, George's father is given as William Crozier, a farmer, and Mary's as Thomas Earls, carpenter of Aughaward. Thomas and Teresa(?) Earls witnessed the marriage. George took over the carpentry business from his father-in-law, Thomas Earls. In the 1901 Census George and Mary Anne are listed as living at No.7 Water Street, Enniskillen with their two daughters, Elizabeth and Annie. George is described as a 48-year-old carpenter and Mary's age is given as 45; they belonged to the Church of Ireland. In 1911 George was 59 and Mary Ann 54; they were living at 7 Water Street with their grandson, Morgnan [Norman] Mcdonagh, born in County Fermanagh, aged 7, scholar, and two lodgers. They had been married 39 years and had three children, all still living. They lived in a furniture shop; the house was built of brick or similar with a roof of tile or similar; it had five windows to the front and 6 rooms inhabited by five people. As the above gravestone inscription from Garvary graveyard states, George died on Nov.25, 1924, and Mary on Apr.21, 1930. Their children:
- Elizabeth F. Crozier was born about 1881. Before 1901, she married T. James MacDonagh who was born in Ballinamallard. In the Census of 1901 she is listed as living with her parents on Water Street, Enniskillen. Elizabeth registered the death of her uncle Thomas Earls in 1904. In the 1920s she was living in Dublin. James died quite young about 1907 or 1908 in Enniskillen. Elizabeth married again, to W.F.Lundy sometime in the late 1920s or early 1930s. They lived in Dublin where Elizabeth died in Mar.1957 in Dublin South. James and Elizabeth had at least one son:
- Norman Crozier Earls MacDonagh was born on Nov.25, 1903, in Enniskillen. He had a daughter Marilyn MacDonagh who lives (2005) in Tacoma, Washington, and provided information on this branch of the family. Norman is listed in the 1911 Census as Morgnan (sic) Mcdonagh, born in County Fermanagh, aged 7, living with his parents. Norman McDonagh, aged 23, of 9 Water Street, Enniskillen, motorman, sailed on Jul.2, 1927, from Londonderry to New York on the "Caledonia". 'Motorman' was the official name for a tram driver. Norman, who was known as Mac, applied for U.S. citizenship on Long Island, probably about 1928. He became a U.S. citizen in Seattle in 1933. He married Mary Margaret Wren (Hren), a teacher from Great Falls, Montana, in 1933 in Marysville, Washington. Known as Mac by all who knew him in Seattle, he was employed by the U.S. Post Office. He had a natural talent for construction (the mediuum being wood.) Norman died on Oct.9, 1948, in Seattle at the age of 44.
Norman MacDonagh Anne Maguire with son Bishop Maguire Kenneth in 1926
(courtesy of Marilyn MacDonagh)
- Annie Crozier was born in Enniskillen in Mar. 1884 and was living with her parents on Water Street, Enniskillen, at the time of the 1901 Census. In that return she is listed as unmarried and a pupil teacher in a Model National School. In 1911 she was recorded with family of Thomas James Earls in Dublin as a cousin, Church of Ireland, aged 37, teacher in a National School, single. Annie married another teacher, Robert Maguire from Northern Ireland on Sep. 1921 in Banbridge. In the 1920s they were living and teaching in Dublin. Annie and Robert had 2 children:
- Doris Maguire was born in the early 1920s and never married. She worked for the Guinness Brewery in Dublin all or her adult life and was still living in 1960.
- Robert Kenneth Maguire was born in Dublin about 1923 and studied classics at Trinity College, Dublin. He later completed his Divinity studies in 1947 and was ordained a priest in the Anglican Church in 1948. Robert K. Maguire, of 6 Scotch Street, Armagh, clerk in holy orders, sailed on Jul.29, 1949 from Belfast for Montreal on the "Torr Head". He was first called to serve in Canada as an assistant at the Church of St. James the Apostle in Montreal. He returned to Ireland for several years to serve as rector at St. Patrick's Church in Armagh and took the time to complete his MA in 1959 at Dublin University. He returned to Montreal in 1960 to become Dean at Christ Church Cathedral. He was consecrated bishop in 1963 at the age of 39, then the youngest bishop in Canada and served for 12 years during turbulent times in Quebec. Becoming a bishop so young created some difficulty for him. He said that had he stayed on until the mandatory retirement age of 70, he would have served too long. However, his decision to step down in 1975 at the age of 51 was described as "a surprise move" in the Canadian Churchman, the forerunner of the Anglican Journal. In retirement, he lived in Toronto and maintained a winter home in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, occasionally assisting at services in Canada and the United States. He never married and left no heirs and when he died of pancreatic cancer on Oct.14, 2000, he left his $3 million dollar estate to the Anglican Church of Canada.
- James Earls (1819-1900), the fourth son, moved to Doon, Tempo, County Fermanagh (near Pubble Methodist Church). He is listed there in 1832 in the Tithe Applotment Books as James Earls, Doon, Enniskillen. He was assessed for 8acres 1r 1p at an annual rent of £6 3s 9d, and paid tithe at 6/2d. In the Griffith Valuation of the early 1850s James is listed as leasing 32acres 3r 20p worth £17 15s and a house worth £1 5s in the townland of Doon from James Johnston. He is also listed for an unoccupied house worth 10 shillings. On Feb.6, 1849, in Colebrooke Church of Ireland, Aghalurcher, Lisnaskea, Fermanagh, James Earls, son of James Earls, married Anne Jane Shaw, born in 1826, daughter of Martin Shaw. Anne Jane Earls died in Sep. 1898, aged 72, and James died at Doon in 1900, aged 81. They had five children:
- Thomas Earls was a representative of Pimms in Dublin. He married Ada Moore of Limavady, County Derry; they had no children.
- William Earls (1852-1933) moved to Clones, County Monaghan, where he was a boot merchant with a shop in Fermanagh Street. The 1880 Ulster directory lists him as a grocer and leather merchant in Fermanagh Street, Clones. On Oct.12, 1877, in Armagh Methodist Church, County Armagh, William married Rebecca Ellenor Troughton, dauughter of Thomas Troughton, Annahoe, County Armagh. William served as a Commissioner on the Municipal Board but failed to be re-elected in 1897. In the 1901 Census, 58-year-old William, a boot merchant, and his 55-year-old wife, Rebecca, are recorded as living in Clonedergole, near Clones, County Monaghan, with six of their children as indicated below. The family are Methodist. The census also tells us that the two elder daughters were living at the shop in Clones. In the 1911 Census, 48-year-old William, a boot and grocery merchant, and his 44-year-old wife, Rebecca, are still living in Clonedergole, with six of their children; William is also listed as head of the household in the shop in Fermanagh Street. William and Rebecca had a total of nine children:
- Frances Elizabeth Earls was born in Jun. 1881 in Clones, County Monaghan. In the 1901 Census she is listed as a 20-year-old living with her sister, Annie J Earls, and two boarders, James Hurst (an unmarried 19-year-old "shopman book") and William Heslip (an unmarried 18-year-old "shopman grocery") in Fermanagh Street, Clones. In the 1911 Census she is listed as an unmarried 28-year-old music teacher living with her sister, Adeline, a servant and three shop assistants at the Earls' shop in Fermanagh Street, Clones. In Sep. 1913 Frances married Fred Bamford, a farmer of Lisnaroe, Clones, County Monaghan. Frances Bamford gave much useful information on her family connections to Irene Calvert. She died in 1960, but the Bamfords still farm in Ireland. The children of Fred and Frances Bamford:
- Frederick Edward Bamford, born in Mar., 1915.
- William Earls Bamford, born in Mar. 1917.
- Anne Jane Earls was born in Clones, County Monaghan, in Sep. 1882. In the 1901 Census she is listed as a 18-year-old living with her sister, Frances, and two boarders (see above) in Fermanagh Street, Clones. In the 1911 Census she is listed as an unmarried 26-year-old living with her parents in Clonedergole. Anne died unmarried.
- Thomas James Earls (1884-1953) was born in Clones, County Monaghan, in Sep. 1884 and went into his father's business as a boot merchant in Fermanagh Street, Clones. He is listed in the 1901 Census as an unmarried 16-year-old boots shopman living with his parents in Clonedergole, near Clones. In the 1911 Census he is listed as an unmarried 24-year-old boot merchant living with his parents in Clonedergole. He died unmarried on Oct.22, 1953.
- Emma Florence Earls (1886-1915) was born in Clones, County Monaghan, in Dec. 1886. In the 1901 Census she is listed as a 14-year-old visiting the home of her uncle, Robert Troughton, and his family in Lurgancot, County Armagh. In the 1911 Census she is listed as an unmarried 22-year-old living with her parents in Clonedergole. Emma sailed to New York aboard the "Lusitania" from Queenstown and arrived in New York on Feb.24, 1912. She is listed as a housemaid, aged 24, and was recorded at Ellice Island as bound for 14 E. 15th Street, New York. About a month later on May 25, 1912, Rev. Hugh Hetherington (born on Jul.26, 1885, in Lisnahanna, Kilskerry, County Tyrone} arrived from Liverpool in New York aboard the "Adriatic" (White Star, Capt. B.F. Hayes, 24540 tons). He was a unmarried Methodist clergyman from Clones, Co Monaghan, aged 40, born in Lisnahanna, the son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Hetherington of Kilskerry, Tyrone. "Early in life he made a surrender of himself as a soldier of Jesus Christ. At the age of twenty he was engaged in evangelistic work. He entered the probation of the Irish Methodist Conference in 1908," according to the United Church of Canada. He was going to preach under Rev. Sam McVilly on Mount Elgin Indian Reservation, Muncey, Ontario. Emma and Hugh were married in Muncey on Jul.24, 1912. Later they lived on an Indian reservation at Bandon, Manitoba, where Hugh became the Principal of a school. Emma died in Oct. 1915 and Hugh Hetherington of Industrial School, Brandon, Manitoba, 90th Winnipeg Rifles, signed up to serve in 203rd Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force in First World War. He declared his intention on Apr.15, 1916, in Winnipeg. Lieut H. Hetherington, aged 32, was drafted into the 8th Battalion, Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Regiment - "Little Black Devils") and was was killed in action on Apr.15, 1917, and buried in Ecoivres Military Cemetery, Mont-St. Eloi. "In the attack following the capture of Vimy Ridge he was wounded in the leg but refused to fall out and when they were caught by machine-gun fire and his platoon was suffering badly he tried to rally his men but fell fatally wounded" according to Capt. the Rev. W.B.Caswell. Emma and Hugh had no children. (Information on Hugh from David Hetherington and from Hugh's neice, the late Iris Nelson of Toronto).
- Walker Rennick Earls was born in Clones on Oct.10, 1887. He is listed in the 1901 Census as an unmarried 12-year-old schoolboy living with his parents in Clonedergole, near Clones. Walker joined the army serving with the 6th Regiment of the Royal Irish Fusiliers in 1907. Walter (sic) R. Earls, aged 19, sailed on Mar.14, 1907, from Liverpool to St Johns, New Brunswick, Canada, on the "Lake Manitoba" (Capt. G.C. Evans, 6274 tons). In Canada he first worked as a ranch hand. In 1914 in Ottawa, Canada, he joined the Canadian Army, Princess Patricia's Light Infantry (Eastern Ontario Regiment), and was sent to France with the Canadian Expeditionary Force. Private Walker R. Earls was killed in action in France on Sep.15, 1916, and is named on the Tomb of the Canadian Unknown Soldiers in France at Vimy Ridge.
Twins Rebecca (Ruby) Eleanor Earls and Margretta (Gretta) Shaw Earls were born on Jan.29, 1891. They are listed in the 1901 Census as 10-year-old schoolgirls living with their parents in Clonedergole, near Clones. In the 1911 Census they are listed as unmarried 18-year-old schoolgirls living with their parents in Clonedergole. Both went to Queens University, Belfast and became doctors. They lived and practiced on Newtonbutler Road, Clones. Rebecca died unmarried on Sept.10, 1951.
Rebecca and Margretta Earls
(courtesy of Marilyn MacDonagh)
- Adeline Olive Earls (1892-1949). She is listed in the 1901 Census as an 8-year-old schoolgirl living with her parents in Clonedergole, near Clones. In the 1911 Census she is listed as an unmarried 17-year-old Queens University undergraduate living with her sister, Frances, a servant and three shop assistants at the Earls' boot shop in Fermanagh Street, Clones. She is probably the Miss A. Earls, aged 23, teacher, who sailed on Aug.25, 1916, from Liverpool for Montreal on the "Metagama" (CPR Atlantic Line, Capt G.S. Nelster, 7654 tons). She married Edgar Murray Hill, Chief Engineer for the Canadian National Railways in Winnipeg, Canada. They had 3 children:
- Mary Frances Stewart Hill married Robert Purdy of Amherst, Nova Scotia. They had 3 children Margaret, John and Michael Purdy.
- John Murray Earls Hill became a chemical engineer. He married Anne Christie and had four children, Murray, Kathleen, Jean and Mary Hill.
- Margaret Eleanor Anne Hill married David Hart of Nova Scotia and had 3 children, Susan, Peter and Stephen Hart (email@example.com).
- Edith May Earls was born in Clones, County Monaghan, in Dec. 1894. She is listed in the 1901 Census as a 6-year-old living with her parents in Clonedergole, near Clones. In the 1911 Census she is listed as a 15-year-old schoolgirl living with her parents in Clonedergole. Edith graduated from Queens University, Belfast in Modern Languages. She married John Andrew McNutt who was a manager in the Northern Bank. In 1957 they lived at 9 Ashley Park, Bangor. Edith told Irene Calvert that the Earls family had been Church of Ireland but became Methodist when John Wesley visited Ireland. The McNutts had three children:
- Margaret Olive McNutt was born in 1922 in Ballybay, County Monaghan and was educated at Ashleigh House School. She became a physiotherapist and married a dentist, Ronald McLeod Veitch. They lived at 48 Lauderdale Gardens, Glasgow; they had two sons:
- Ian McLeod Veitch, born March 22, 1952, who was on the electoral roll in Glasgow, aged 58, in 2010.
- Ronald McLeod Veitch, born Jan.28, 1954. In 2010 he was living in East Kilbride, Glasgow.
- John Kenneth Earls McNutt attended Coleraine Academical Institution and in 1957 was in the Bank of Australia and New Zealand living at 351 Collins Street, Melbourne, Australia.
- Donald Noel McNutt was born on Dec.5, 1932 and attended Campbell College and Queens University, Belfast where he graduated in agriculture. From 1956 to 1974 he was an entomologist in the Uganda Department of Agriculture living in Kawanda, Kampala, Uganda. He subsequently became an Assistant Master at Cabin Hill, Campbell College, Belfast. In 1982 he was living at 9 Ashley Park, Bangor, Co Down.
- Emma Earls, born about 1856, and on May 21, 1875, in Garvary Church of Ireland, she married Henry Wilson of Tyralton, near Tempo, County Fermanagh. In 1901 Henry Wilson, aged 68, farmer, Church of Ireland, lived with his wife Emma, aged 43, nine children and one farm servant at house #14, Mullyknock or Copped Mountain, Ballyreagh, County Fermanagh. Their house (2nd class) was built of stone or similar with a thatched or similar roof; it had 4 windows to the front and contained 8 rooms inhabited by 12 people. There were ten offices or outbuildings. In 1911 Henry Wilson, aged 80, farmer, Church of Ireland, lived at house #4 at Tiraltan (sic), Ballyreagh, County Fermanagh, with his wife Emma, aged 55, and three grown-up children. They had been married 36 years and had 11 children of whom 10 were still living. Their house (2nd class) was built of stone or similar with a thatched or similar roof; it had 5 windows to the front and 8 rooms inhabited by five people. There were eight offices or outbuildings. Henry died on May 30, 1913, and Emma on Nov.2, 1942. They are commemorated by a gravestone in the Tempo Parish Church which reads: ``In fond memory of Henry Wilson, Tyralton, died May 30, 1913, aged 84 and of his son Crozier Wilson who accidentally drowned Aug.10, 1919, aged 22. Also his son James died Jan.13, 1883, aged 7 years and his wife Emma Wilson died Nov.2, 1942, aged 86. Also his sons Henry died Sep.4, 1961, aged 84, Thomas died Mar.18, 1962, aged 73. Also his daughter-in-law Annie Jane died Feb.14, 1984. Also his son John died May 31, 1988, aged 97 years.'' Henry and Emma Wilson had a large family:
- Catherine Wilson married a man named Moffet and had a son:
- Thomas Earls Moffet, born in Mar. 1917 in Lurgan, was a Captain in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers in the Second World War.
- James Wilson, born about 1876, died on Jan.13, 1883, at the age of 7 and is buried at Tempo Parish Church.
- Henry Wilson was born in County Fermanagh about 1877. In 1901 he was recorded at his father's house as aged 23, farmer, unmarried. He became a farmer at ``The Mill'', Mullyknock, Tempo. He married Annie Jane Beattie and they had four children. In 1911, Henry Wilson, aged 34, a single farmer, was living at house #2, Mullyknock or Topped (sic) Mountain, Ballyreagh, County Fermanagh, with his sister Rebecca Wilson, aged 18, and one servant. Henry died on Sep.4, 1961, at the age of 84; Annie Jane died on Feb.14, 1984 and they are both buried at Tempo Parish Church as the above gravestone inscription attests. The children of Henry and Annie Wilson:
- Eric Wilson lived in Enniskillen.
- Crozier Wilson married a woman named Sylvia and they lived at Tyralton, Tempo.
- Mona Wilson married William Millar of Coleraine.
- John Ivor Earls Wilson was born about 1941 and worked for a few years at Pubble forest nursery. When his father died he took over the family farm at ``The Mill'', Mullyknock, Tempo, where he kept a suckling herd and raised beef cattle and sheep. He also worked as an excavator operator. He was unmarried and died suddenly in Oct., 1992. He is buried at Tempo Parish Church.
- Anne Jane Wilson was born in Mar. 1879 in County Fermanagh. In 1901 she is the oldest daughter listed living at her parents house, aged 21. On Feb.19, 1902, in Garvary Church of Ireland, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, she married Crozier Wilson Phair and lived in Feddan, parish of Derryvullan, County Fermanagh. In the 1901 Census Crozier W. Phair is listed as a 35-year-old farmer and head of household living on his farm in Feddan. Living with him were his dumb 37-year-old brother Henry Phair, his widowed 30-year-old sister Catherine Hurst, his 15-year-old nephew Crozier Hutchison and a 26-year-old domestic servant, Margaret Flannely. All belonged to the Church of Ireland. In 1911 they were registered in Feddan, Castlecoole, County Fermanagh; Crozier was aged 51 and Annie Jane is 32. They have been married 9 years and had 3 children all still living. Though second class, their house was the best in the village, built of stone or similar with roof of slate or similar; it has 3 windows to the front and 9 rooms inhabited by 8 people. Crozier died on Mar.22, 1949, at the age of 89 and Anne died on Jan.20, 1961, aged 82; they are both buried in the Tempo Church of Ireland graveyard where a Phair family gravestone includes their names. Crozier and Anne had four children:
- James Norman Phair was born in 1904. In the 1911 Census he is listed as aged 7. He died unmarried on Nov.9, 1949, at the age of 45.
- Emma Elizabeth Phair was born in 1906.
- William Henry Phair was born in 1909 and married Mary Jean Elliot and, in 1983, they were living in Feddan in an old home built in the early 1800s. Their son:
- Thomas Phair was born on May 16, 1948, and married Eva Clark, born Aug.27, 1952. In 1983, they were living in a modern home close to his parents in Feddan. Thomas and Eva Phair have four children:
- Jillian Ann Phair was born Mar.17, 1978.
- Lynne Jane Phair was born May 1, 1980.
- Alison Mary Phair was born Oct.10, 1983.
- Susan Phair was born Jun.19, 1987.
- Crozier Wilson Phair was born in Dec. 1916.
- Emma Wilson was born in 1884 and became a missionary. In 1901 she was recorded at her father's house as aged 17, scholar.
- Minnie Wilson was born in 1886. In 1901 she was listed at her parents house as aged 15, scholar.
- Elizabeth Wilson (Lillie) was born in 1887 in County Fermanagh. In 1901 she is listed as living with her parents, aged 13, scholar. Aged 24, she is listed as living with parents in 1911.
- Thomas Wilson, born in Mar. 1889. He is listed in 1901 as aged 12, scholar; in 1911 Census as aged 22, farmer's son, living with his parents. Thomas died on Mar.18, 1962, aged 73 and is buried at Tempo Parish Church.
- John Wilson, born in Mar. 1891, is listed in 1901 as aged 10, scholar.; He may have inherited his father's place in Tyralton. He died on May 31, 1988, aged 97 and is buried at Tempo Parish Church.
- Rebecca (Ruby) Wilson was born in 1893 in County Fermanagh, and is listed as aged 8, a scholar, in the 1901 Census. In 1911 she was living with her brother Henry Wilson at Mullyknock or Topped Mounain, Ballyreagh, aged 18, single. She became a missionary with her sister Emma.
- Crozier Wilson, born in 1897, was listed as aged 4 in the 1901 Census. He accidentally drowned on Aug.10, 1919, aged 22 and is buried at Tempo Parish Church.
- Walker Rennick Earls, known by his second name, was born in 1867 in County Fermanagh. In the 1901 Census he is listed as an unmarried 34-year-old Methodist farmer visiting the home of Robert and Sarah Davidson at 43 Castlerea Street, Ormeau, County Down. Robert Davidson was a timekeeper at the Rope Works. Just after this in Dec. 1901 he married Florence ?, born about 1877 in Co.Fermanagh. In the 1911 Census 44-year-old Rennick (listed as a retired wharehouseman) and 34-year-old Florence Earls are living in Gransha, Islandmagee, Co. Antrim (next door to John Dick) with their three daughters. They had been married 10 years and had had 3 children all still living. Their house (2nd class) was built of stone or similar with roof of slate or similar; it had 3 windows to the front and 4 rooms inhabited by 5 people. The landlord was Donaldson Bell. Their daughters:
- Mona Earls was born in Belfast in 1903 and is listed in the 1911 Census as an 8-year-old living with her parents in Gransha, Islandmagee. Mona married Professor Baxter, formerly of Queens University, Belfast and then of Cardiff University. Mona Baxter, aged 30, married, of Galwally Park, Ormeau Road, Belfast, sailed from Belfast for Montreal, Canada, on Sep.3, 1934, on the "Duchess of York" (Canadian Pacific, Capt W.B. Coyle, 11821 tons) accompanied by her husband, James Baxter, aged 29. Their children:
- James Sinclair Rennick Baxter ("Rennie") "was in born in Canada while his Irish parents were living in Montreal. He attended Clifton College in Bristol, then went up to Emmanuel College, Cambridge, in 1954, followed by his clinical years at Charing Cross Hospital, London. He specialised in otolaryngology and took up his first consultant post in King’s Lynn in 1969. He then transferred to the Kent and Canterbury Hospital in 1971, where he remained as consultant until 1997. His subspecialisation was in audiology, and one of his proudest achievements was the growth of the audiology department. Sadly a few months before his planned retirement, he had a severe stroke in June 1997. He was devotedly nursed at home by his wife, Patty, for the next 11 years. In 2008 he had to go to a nursing home as he had deteriorated. Following a UTI he developed septic shock and died peacefully in May 2009 in the hospital he had served so long. He was a fine craftsman in carpentry, plumbing and electrical work. He renovated several old houses. He was passionate about music; he played the trumpet and sang in various choirs, including the Canterbury Choral Society. He is remembered by all for his sense of the absurd and great humour. He is survived by Patty, 3 children (one of whom followed him into medicine) and 6 grandchildren" (obituary by Sara Baxter). The children of Rennie and Patty Baxter:
- Sara Baxter trained at King's College hospital in London and qualified in 1987. She worked in a variety of NHS hospitals before leaving to work in a private hospital in London where she worked first as a senior physiotherapist and then was promoted to manager of the physiotherapy team. She moved to Brighton in 1993 to work in a local physiotherapy clinic and took over the running of the Brighton Physiotherapy Clinic in 1994.
- ? Baxter
- ? Baxter
- Norah Earls was born in Belfast in 1904 and is listed in the 1911 Census as a 7-year-old living with her parents in Gransha, Islandmagee. Norah trained as a nurse (beginning in 1926) in the Royal Victoria Hospital (RVH), Belfast, in Scotland and in Omagh, County Tyrone where she was a theatre sister and tutor before returning to the RVH as a sister in the out-patient department and office sister with matron. In 1939 she joined the army with the Queen Alexandra Nurses Reserve and spent 5 years in the Middle East. She was awarded the A.R.R.C. for being in charge of the last nursing unit to leave the seige of Tobruk. After the war she rejoined the RVH and was Deputy Matron from 1950 until her retirement in 1966. She never married but liked travel, archeology and reading.
- Margaret Earls, known as Peggy, was born in County Antrim about 1908 and is listed in the 1911 Census as a 3-year-old living with her parents in Gransha, Islandmagee. Peggy was the second wife of Fred McCoy, Q.C., M.P. William Frederick McCoy was a barrister He was born in 1886 in Fivemiletown and educated at Clones High School and Trinity College, Dublin. He served with the Army during the Great War and was called to the Irish Bar in 1920. He became Crown Prosecutor for County Fermanagh from 1926, Resident Magistrate for Belfast from 1937 to 1943 and Senior Crown Prosecutor for Belfast from 1949 to 1967. Initially elected as an Ulster Unionist to the Parliament of Northern Ireland in a by-election on Apr.12, 1945 (following the death of Rowley Elliott the previous year), McCoy held the seat for the Ulster Unionists until his retirement in 1965. Whilst at first his political viewpoints were fairly typical of Unionism at the time, McCoy began to doubt how far the Union was safeguarded by the existing status of Northern Ireland as it was entirely determined by the United Kingdom, whom, he felt, could as easily vote it out of existence as retain it. As a result McCoy called for Northern Ireland to be governed as a Dominion along the lines of Australia and Canada, with the monarch as Head of State, but with the Northern Ireland Parliament otherwise having complete self-government. McCoy's ideas were generally rejected by the Unionist establishment, who were generally happy with the way things were, and he was sidelined, although he did serve as Speaker of the Parliament from Jan.16 to Apr.23, 1956. McCoy stepped down from the Northern Ireland House of Commons in 1965, when his seat was won by John Taylor. McCoy continued to write in support of his Dominion plans until his death on Dec.4, 1976. Fred and Peggy had two sons.
- James Earls, born Feb.4, 1867 who died in infancy at Doon, near Tempo, County Fermanagh.
- Mary Earls married John Kerr, a bachelor farmer in the Lattin parish of Enniskillen (and son of Robert Kerr, farmer) on Feb.20, 1849 in Tempo Church, parish of Enniskillen. The marriage was witnessed by James Earls and James Kerr. John and Mary Kerr lived in Lettin, County Fermanagh and had a son Robert. Anne Wilson, Mrs. Crozier Phair (see above) reported in 1938 that John and Mary Kerr went to live in New York for a period.
- Robert Kerr was baptized on May 12, 1850 in Tempo.
- James H. Kerr was perhaps another son. In 1901 a James H. Kerr, born in 1852, aged 48, farmer, lived at house #1 Lettan, Tempo, County Fermanagh, with his wife Matilda and six children, one of who was called Robert. They had been married 22 years and had eight children all still living.
According to Anne Wilson who became Mrs. Crozier Phair (see above) there were at least two other daughters besides Mary Earls. Tradition has it that they emigrated to the United States. Other possible children of James and Sarah Earls are outlined in Appendix 3A.
Last updated 7/28/11.
Christopher E. Brennen