EARLS FAMILY CHRONICLES© Christopher Earls Brennen
Appendix 2E. OTHER EARLS FAMILIES
AGHER, COUNTY MEATH:
- James Earls, born about 1840, married Anne Murrin and they took up residence in Agher, County Meath. James died on Sep.21, 1894, aged 55, and Anne on Aug.16, 1906, aged 69. With other members of the family they are buried in the graveyard on the Church at Agher where the plain modern gravestone reads:
EARLS. Erected by Laurence Earls, Agher, in loving memory of his father James Earls, died Sep.21, 1894, aged 55 years. Also his mother Anne Earls died Aug.16, 1906, aged 69 years. His brother James died Aug.8, 1884, aged 22 years. His sister Lizzie died Jul.10, 1906, aged 35 years. And his sister Kate Gribbin died Dec.25, 1920. R.I.P.
James and Anne had five children:
- James Earls was born in 1862 in Agher and died Aug.8, 1884, aged 22 years.
- Christopher Earls was born Oct.31, 1866, in Summerhill, Meath.
- Lizzie Earls was born in 1871 in Agher and died Jul.10, 1906, aged 35 years.
- Kate Earls was born in 1875 in Agher and married a man named Gribbin. She died Dec.25, 1920.
- Laurence Earls was born in 1877 in Agher.
CASTLEBAR, COUNTY MAYO:
- Harold Earls married Maureen McIntyre and they made home in Castlebar, County Mayo. They had eight children, the youngest of whom was
- Francis Anthony Earls was born in 1956.
- John Earls was born sometime about 1830 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia, from Northern Ireland some time prior to 1854. He was probably from a Wesleyan family. In 1854 in Melbourne he was a witness to the marriage of Francis Shider to Isabella Murphy. Francis had emigrated from Prussia and Isabella from Tandragee, County Armagh, Northern Ireland. It is remembered that she and John Earls came from the same county. Barbara Cheal (see below) has an old photograph of a house in Mullavilly that is remembered as the location of the Earls forebears though whether this refers to Isabella Murphy or to John Earls is uncertain. The village of Mullavilly is in County Armagh about a mile and a half northwest of Tandragee on the road to Portadown. Probably the nearest substantial records we have of Earls families in Northern Ireland are those of the Earls of Ballykine (see Appendix 2C) near Ballynahinch, County Down. Perhaps John is a descendant of that branch. Thus I speculate that it was Isabella that came from Mullavilly. Tandragee is close to the Armagh/Down border so John and Isabella would almost have been from the same county. Francis and Isabella had a son, John Alexander Shider, born about 1855. Some time after his birth, Francis died. Then Isabella and John Earls were married in Melbourne in 1858. Isabella died in Nov. 1891, John Earls in 1894.
- John Alexander Shider was born about 1855 and changed his name to John Alexander Earls about 1892. In Feb. 1891 in the Wesleyan Chapel in Naracoorte, South Australia, he married Edith Burchell Scott and they had at least 8 children listed below. In 1895 the family was living in Germantown, New South Wales. In 1916 when their son John was killed they were living at "Albacutya", Nile Street, Orange, New South Wales.
- John Arthur Earls was born about 1893 and joined the Australian Expeditionary Force that was shipped to the front during WWI. John was killed in France on Oct.12, 1916, and is buried in Bedford House Cemetery.
- William Burchell Earls, born in NSW in 1894, died just 5 months later on Feb.7, 1895, in Germantown, NSW. He is buried in the Church of England Cemetery in Germantown.
- Percival Arthur Earls was born in NSW in 1896. In 1928 in Mosman, NSW, he married Phyllis E.M. Dalton.
- Francis Norman Earls was born in 1898. In 1926 in Orange, New South Wales, he married Lily M. Tuck. They had 3 children:
- Barbara Frances Earls who provided the information on this branch of the Earls family. Barbara married a man named Cheal and had three sons. Her eldest son died of cancer at the age of 22.
<--! In 2002 her address was 47 Welfare Parade, Glen Iris, Victoria, Australia 3146>
- John Lawrence Earls
- A stillborn child who died in 1935.
- Edith B. Earls was born in NSW in 1900. In 1920 in Orange, NSW, she married John R. Jones.
- Dorothy K. Earls was born in NSW in 1903. In 1926 in Sydney, NSW, she married Clifford J.W. Oates.
- Una M.R. Earls was born in NSW in 1904.
- Enid A. Earls married Arthur E. Saunders in St. Peters, NSW, in 1930.
- Ann Earls, born about 1854 in Coleraine, Victoria, Australia, married James Murtagh, born 1849 in Portland, Victoria, the son of Walter Murtaugh and Bridget (Myles). James died after 1881. They had two sons:
- Walter Murtagh, born 1876 in Coleraine, Victoria.
- James Maurice Murtagh, born 1879 in Coleraine, Victoria.
- Annie Veronica Earls, born about 1886 in South Yarra, Melbourne, Australia, was married in 1907 to Phillip John Standering, born in 1885 in Allansford, Victoria. He died in 1955 and she in 1944, in Melbourne. They had 3 children:
- Katherine Mona Standring, born 1908 in M'dura, Victoria, and died in 1909.
The following family history was researched and constructed by Loretta Earls McCluskey (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Michael Earls was born about 1800 and probably lived in County Clare or possibly Galway. He married Ellen Kane (or Cain) and both of them died in Ireland. The children of Michael and Ellen Earls:
- John Earls was born about 1828 in Limerick, Ireland, and was married in Limerick in 1852 to Catherine O'Brien, born about 1832 in Limerick, the daughter of John and Catherine O'Brien. They emigrated to Australia in 1854. John died in Warrnambool, Victoria, on Mar.12, 1877, at the age of 49 and Catherine died in Warrnambool on Jul.31, 1905. Both are buried in Roman Catholic Row 31. John and Catherine had 16 children:
- Bridget Earls was born about 1852 and died about 1853 in Limerick.
- Mary Ann Earls was born on Mar.18, 1855, in Portland, Victoria, and married John Jackson (born in Nottinghamshire, England) in Victoria in 1873. Mary Ann died Warrnambool, Victoria, in 1920 at the age of 65. The children of John and Mary Ann Jackson:
- John Jackson was born in 1874 in Hamilton and died in Hamilton in the same year.
- John Hamilton Jackson was born in 1880 in Hamilton and died in Prahran in 1935 aged 54.
- Albert Edward Jackson was born in 1883 in Warrnambool and died there in 1889.
- Ellen Earls was born in 1857 in Warrnambool, Victoria, and married Patrick Powers (born in Branxholme, Victoria) in 1877 in Warrnambool. Ellen died in Brighton, Victoria, in 1942 aged 86. Patrick and Ellen Powers had children:
- Patrick John Powers was born in 1878 in Branxholme, Victoria.
- James Francis Powers was born in 1879 in Branxholme, Victoria.
- Clara Agnew Powers, known as Ces, was born in 1881 in Branxholme, Victoria, and married James Bulmer in Victoria in 1922. Clara died on Jan.30, 1979, in Annandale, NSW, aged 98. James died in 1944 in Brighton aged 66.
- William Bassett Powers was born in 1883 in Branxholme, Victoria. He died in Hamilton in 1915 aged 32.
- Gertrude Mary Powers was born in 1886 in Branxholme, Victoria, and in 1908 married Archibald William Beaton. She died in Coleraine aged 41.
- Margaret Ellen Powers was born in 1888 in Branxholme, Victoria. She died in 1946 in Caulfield aged 57.
- Leo Joseph Powers was born in 1896 in Branxholme, Victoria.
- Joseph Clare Powers was born in 1899 in Branxholme, Victoria, and married Ruby Victoria Sheehan in 1927. Joseph died in Hamilton in 1943 aged 44. Ruby died in Kew in 1982.
- Margaret Earls was born in 1858 in Warrnambool and died in 1881 in South Melbourne aged 24. She had a daughter:
- Mary Earls was born in 1877 and died in 1878 aged 1.
- Catherine Ann Earls was born in Warrnambool in 1860. In 1887 in Victoria she married Ewald Paul Kumnick, born on Dec.14, 1862, in Lobethal, South Australia. Ewald Kumnick was a well known and successful South Australian businessman who, in 1894, established a cricket bat factory in Lobethal, South Australia. For 70 years it supplied bats for Australian cricketers including Sir Donald Bradman. Catherine died in March 1941 in Lobethal aged 81 and Ewald died on Nov.17, 1948, in Prospect, South Africa, aged 85. Ewald and Catherine had three children:
- John Charles Kumnick was born in Footscray in 1888. He did not marry and died in Lobethal, South Australia, in 1975.
- Alivinia Clare Kumnick was born in Brunswick in 1890.
- Lilian Mary Ann Kumnick was born in Brunswick in 1893. She was married on Feb.21, 1920, in Birdwood, South Australia, to Cecil Vivian Backhouse and had three sons, Mark, John and Peter Backhouse. Cecil died on Aug.30, 1957.
- Michael Earls was born in 1860 and died on Feb.15, 1861, aged 4 months.
- William John Earls was born in Warrnambool in 1862. He was married in 1907 in Warrnambool, Victoria, to Elizabeth Ann Rust who died in 1908 in Warrnambool aged 34. William married again in 1908 in Victoria to (Queenie) Eliza Caroline Hastings. William died in Warrnambool on Jul.8, 1937, aged 75 and Queenie died on Sep.19, 1942 aged 57. William's children:
- Elizabeth Frances Earls, the daughter of William and Elizabeth Earls, was born in 1908 and was called Lynn by family members. She died in Queensland.
- Raymond Joseph Earls, the son of William and Queenie Earls, was born in 1909 and died in Warrnambool on May 14, 1924, aged 15.
- Elizabeth Mary Earls was born in Warrnambool in 1863 and was married in Victoria in 1887 to Charles Carr, born in Leeds, England. Elizabeth died in Collingwood, Victoria, in 1931 aged 69. The children of Charles and Elizabeth Carr:
- Mary Jennie Deighton Carr was born in 1888 in Collingwood and married Daniel Donnelly in 1914. She died in Ballarat in 1965.
- Ruby Annie Carr was born in 1889 in Collingwood and married Frances Rooney in 1925. She died in 1946 aged 56.
- Dorothy Agnes Carr was born in 1892 in Collingwood and married Thomas Lawrence Fox in 1914. She died in Ballarat in 1974 aged 82.
- Norma Eleanor Carr was born in 1893 in Collingwood and married Ernest Joseph Duffy in 1920. She died in St.Kilda in 1929 aged 34.
- Bridget Earls was born in 1864 in Warrnambool and died the same year.
- John Earls (twin) was born in 1865 in Warrnambool and died the same year.
- James Earls (twin) was born in 1865 in Warrnambool and died the same year.
- John Earls was born in Warrnambool in 1867 and died the same year.
- Agnes Earls was born in Warrnambool in 1868. She lived in Boulder, Kalgoorlie, Western Australia and died unmarried in 1922 in Yilgarn, Western Australia, aged 54.
- Frances Earls was born in Warrnambool in 1869 and was married to Arthur Ridying Proctor (born in Ballarat in 1867) in Victoria in 1893. Frances died in 1931 in Clifton Hill, Victoria, aged 62; Arthur died in 1934 in Fitzroy aged 68. Arthur and Frances Proctor had a daughter:
- Dulcie Irene Earls Proctor was born in Collingwood in 1892 and married Arthur Kelly in 1921. They had 3 children, John Arthur Kelly, Robert Earl Kelly (born about 1924) and Franclyn Kelly (born about 1934). Dulcie died in Kew in 1966 aged 72.
- Lucy Earls was born in Warrnambool in 1870 and died in 1871.
- Joseph John Earls was born on Jul.6, 1872, in Warrnambool and married Margaret Ellen Mountford (born on Jan.25, 1878, in Gaffneys Creek, Victoria) on Sep.21, 1899, in Abbotsford, Victoria. Joseph died on Jun.1, 1921, in Warrnambool aged 49. Margaret died in Warrnambool on Nov.25, 1942, aged 63. Joseph and Margaret had children:
- Mary Mona Earls was born in 1900 and died in 1988.
- John Joseph Earls was born in 1903 and died in 1969.
- Charles William Earls was born in 1905 and died in 1938.
- Joseph Anthony Earls was born in 1908 and died in 1976.
- Bartholomew Earls was born in 1910 and died in 1978.
- Francis Patrick Earls was born in 1913 and died in 2004.
- Arthur Anthony Earls was born in 1915 and died in 1964.
- Margaret Earls was born in 1918 and died in 2005.
- Paul Earls (twin) was born in 1919 and died in 1989.
- Peter Earls (twin) was born in 1919 and died in 1920.
- Bridget Earls was born about 1831 in Limerick, Ireland, and was married in Victoria, Australia, in Limerick in 1856 to Daniel Courtney. Bridget died in 1894 in a lunatic asylum in Allansford, Victoria, at the age of 59. Daniel and Bridget Courtney had 11 children:
- Anne Courtney was born about 1857 and died at age 5 in Victoria in 1862.
- Mary Ellen Courtney was born in 1860 in Warrnambool and married Thomas Kelly in 1886. She died at age 85 in Warrnambool in 1946.
- Daniel Courtney was born in 1861 in Warrnambool and died at age 1 in 1862.
- John Daniel Courtney was born about 1864 and married Mary Fleming in 1891. He died in Parkdale in 1948 aged 84.
- William Courtney was born in 1865 in Warrnambool and died in Fitzroy in 1934 aged 70.
- Elizabeth Ann Courtney was born in 1867 in Warrnambool and died the same year.
- Michael Courtney was born in 1867 in Warrnambool.
- Margaret Courtney was born in 1870 in Allansford.
- Anatilia Courtney was born in 1872 in Allansford and died in Mepunga in 1878 aged 5.
- Soloman Martin Courtney was born in 1874 in Allansford and died in Mepunga in 1878 aged 4.
- Daniel Augustus Courtney was born in 1876 in Allansford and died in Mepunga in 1878.
- Mary Earls was born about 1835 in Limerick, Ireland, and was married in Warrnambool, Australia, on Jul.20, 1859, to Patrick Sullivan, born about 1832 in County Galway. Patrick and Mary Sullivan had one child:
- Jeremiah Patrick Sullivan was born in 1870 in Warrnambool.
- William Earls, a bootmaker, married Mary (or Sarah or Anne) Ryan and emigrated to Australia about 1838. Their son, Michael, was born at sea. They probably took up residence in Kingsgrove, NSW. [Note that the ship Charles Kerr arrived in Sydney on Jan.8, 1839, with emigrants from Limerick where they embarked on Sep.16, 1838.]
- Michael Earls was born at sea about 1838 and arrived in New South Wales, Australia. He became a shoemaker like his father. On Jun.2, 1862, a bachelor aged 24 and a resident of Kingsgrove, NSW, he was married in Scot's Church, Sydney (Presbyterian) to Mary Ann Agnes Sheppard, a spinster aged 20 who was living with her parents, Robert Sheppard and Sarah (Emerton), in Kingsgrove. Mary was born in Maitland, NSW. Robert was a woolstapler and manufacturer. Robert and Sarah witnessed the marriage. Michael, described as a 75-year-old bootmaker and old-age pensioner who was born at sea, died on Jan.25, 1912, at 171 Darling Street, Dalmain, NSW. His father and mother are listed as William Earls, bootmaker, and Mary Ryan, and the informant is his daughter, S.V. Williamson of Todmore Avenue, Kensington. Mary died at the home of her son Albert in Marrickville, Sydney, on Dec.12, 1911. Michael and Mary are buried in the Church of England cemetery in Sutherland. Michael and Mary had many children:
- Clarissa Earls was born in NSW in 1863. Clarissa died unmarried in 1937.
- Sarah Victoria Earls was born in NSW in 1865. In 1889 in Glebe, NSW, she married William H. Williamson and in 1912 were living at Todmore Avenue, Kensington.
- Albert Edward Earls was born in NSW in 1867 and, at the time of his mother's death in 1911 was living at "Hillgrove", Calvert Street, Marrickville, Sydney, NSW.
- William Charles Kerr Earls was born at Severn River, NSW, in 1869. On Jul.9, 1901, at the Manse (the home of the Presbyterian minister) in Glen Innes, NSW, William Charles Kerr Earls, described as a 30-year-old bachelor grazier was married according to the rites of the Presbyterian Church to Mary Mackenzie, a 24-year-old spinster dressmaker born in Swanbrook, Inverell, NSW, the daughter of Duncan Mackenzie, famer, and his wife Charlotte (Carey). Inverell is to the west of Glen Innes. Strangely, on the marriage certificate William's parents are given as "James Henry" Earls, a clerk, and "Naomi" Shepperd. Either William and Mary were eloping and trying to hide his parents identity, or the clerk was quite inaccurate. We believe that William and Mary Earls lived at Ashford, Inverell. By some strange twist our family remembers a son of this name belonging to Robert Earls (see chapter 7) even though it was subsequently discovered that Robert was not married and, in any case, Robert was born after William. Robert Earls's sad saga in NSW also contains a reference to William Charles Earle of Ashford, Inverell, and Robert may even have visited William.
- Mary Alexandra Earls was born in NSW in 1871. In 1894 in Marrickville, NSW, she married Thomas Fawcett.
- John Michael Earls was born in NSW in 1873. In 1920 in Newtown, NSW, he married Agnes E. Buck.
- Amy Alice Earls was born in NSW in 1875. In 1901 in Redfern, NSW, she married William E. Heming.
- Martha Emerton Earls was born in NSW in 1877. In 1908 in Marrickville, she married Trentham Smith.
- Robert Shepperd Earls was born in NSW in 1879.
- Arthur Herbert B. Earls was born in NSW in 1881. In 1913 in Newtown, NSW, he married Jessie G. Buck.
- John Earls was born on Oct.27, 1841, and baptized on Nov.14, 1841, in St. Mary's Cathedral, Sydney, Australia. His parents William Earls and Anne (Ryan) were living on Castlereagh Street and his sponsors for the baptism were John Slattery and Maria Lyons. The ceremony was performed by M.Brennan, Roman Catholic.
- William Earls was born on Apr.23, 1846, and baptized on May 10, 1846, in Parish of St.James, County of Cumberland, New South Wales. His parents William Earls and Anne (Ryan) were living on Market Street . The ceremony was performed by Revd. Mr. Halliman, Roman Catholic.
- Edward Earls was born in 1847.
- James(?) Earls (first name uncertain) was born in Ireland and emigrated to the US, probably to New York. The family is Roman Catholic. He married a woman named Farenthold in the US and they had at least one son:
- Joseph Earls was born in New York in 1910. He married Arline Haage and died in 1975. Joseph and Arline had at least one son:
- Edward James Earls, born in Brooklyn in 1939. He has a son:
- Christopher James Earls was born about 1968 and graduated from the Virginia Institute of Technology and the University of Minnesota. He is now (2003) an Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Pittsburgh.
Two neighbors and probably brothers or cousins who emigrated from Ireland and took up residence in West Troy, New York State (information provided by Pat Wood, email@example.com) :
- George Earls was born about 1824 in Ireland and, in the late 1840s married Mary Ann MacDonagh, perhaps in Ireland. They first appear in the 1850 Census living in West Troy, New York State, which is now known as Watervliet. At that point they had no children. Their children:
- William Earls was baptized in St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, West Troy, in 1851.
- James H. Earls
- George Alexander Earls
- John Earls
- Elizabeth Earls
- Jane Earls
- Mary M. Earls
- Catherine Earls
- James H. Earls was born about 1826 and married a woman born in Massachusetts named Catherine. James and Catherine were neighbors of the above George and Mary Ann Earls according to the 1850 Census of West Troy, New York. Among their children:
- Charles Francis Earls was born in 1846 and is recorded in the 1850 Census of West Troy, New York.
From the genealogy of Eliza Ellen Keith of Floyd County, Virginia (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Lake/1477/eekeith.html):
- Thomas Earles married a woman named Judith and they had a son:
- Timothy Earls was born about 1780. He died in 1846 in Floyd County, VA. His children:
- Leanna Earls was born about 1805 in Virginia and, on May 3, 1823, in Grayson County, VA, married John C. Keith, born in 1803 in Montgomery County, Virginia. Leanna died in 1860 in Floyd County, VA; John died on Jan.17, 1880. Their children:
- Levi Keith was born in 1824 in Burks Fork, Floyd County, VA. On Dec.17, 1852, he married Elizabeth Sutphin in Floyd County. Levi is listed in Carroll County, VA, in the 1850 Census. He served in the Confederate Army and died on Jan.17, 1870, in Burks Fork.
- daughter Keith
- Cyrus Keith was born on Jul.25, 1828, in Montgomery County, VA. On Dec.17, 1852, in Floyd County, VA, he married Rachel Alderman and they had 7 children. Cyrus served in the Confederate Army. He died on Oct.23, 1911, and is buried in Alderman Cemetery, Floyd County.
- Mahala Keith was born in 1833 in Floyd County, VA, and married William Keith on Nov.27, 1856, in Floyd County. They moved to Barren Springs, Wythe County, VA.
- Floyd Keith was born in 1834 in Floyd County, VA, and married Elizabeth Helms on Jan.29, 1857, in Floyd County. They had 4 children.
- Purline Keith was born in 1834 in Floyd County, VA, and married George W. Helms on Apr.24, 1854, in Floyd County. Her second husband was Claiburne Hylton whom she married in 1877 in Floyd County. Purline raised her sister Tabitha's children.
- Salma Keith was born in 1836 in Floyd County, VA.
- Daniel Keith was born in 1839 in Floyd County, VA. On Oct.9, 1856, in Floyd County, VA, he married Nancy Alderman and they had 3 children. Daniel served in the Confederate Army. He died in 1898 in Pike County, Kentucky.
- William Keith was born on Oct.29, 1841, in Floyd County, VA, and died in 1862 of measles while serving in the Confederate Army.
- James Madison Keith was born in 1844 in Willis, Floyd County, VA. On Nov.3, 1863, in Floyd County, VA, he married Mahala Ann Alderman and they had 9 children. James served in the Confederate Army. In 1924 he was married for the second time to Elizabeth Finney in Carroll County, VA. James died in March 1927.
- Elizabeth A. Keith was born on Dec.12, 1846, in Floyd County, VA. On Mar.26, 1864, she married Thomas T. Alderman and they had 10 children. Elizabeth died on Jan.15, 1914, and is buried in Alderman Cemetery, Floyd County.
- Susannah Ruth Keith was born in 1849, in Willis, Floyd County, VA. On Jan.16, 1868, she married Solomon Alderman in Floyd County and they had 10 children. Susannah is called Isabelle in the 1850 Census. Susannah died in North Carolina in 1912.
- Margaret Keith was born in 1852.
- Tabitha Keith was born in 1853 in Floyd County, VA.
Last updated 11/2/05.
Christopher E. Brennen