© Christopher Earls Brennen


The following are the scattered records of the Berkshire holdings of the members of the de Erlegh family which were not included in the chapter:

Robert Erley. His daughter Maud gave John de Erlegh(II) a quitclaim for two hides of land in Erley, Reading and Sonning in 1197 [1,v.3,p.213].

Thomas Erleigh. In 1220 there is mention of the visitation of the Salisbury diocese to ``the chapel of John de Earley(II?), St. Nicholas in which no one ministers''. This refers to a chapel attached to the manor of Earley, Berkshire in the deanery of Sonning; in 1220 a return was made of Sir Thomas Erleigh, knight, who may have been in residence in that manor. The dean made a second visitation in 1224 to the chapels of Erleigh St. Nicholas and Erleigh St. Bartholemew. No fault was found with either the learning or the life of the chaplains but both were rebuked for irregularities in ministering to the ordinary parishioners of Sonning within their respective chapels. The chapel of Erleigh St. Bartholemew stood in the court of Sir Thomas Erleigh and the dean found that the chapel was ``of wood but stones gathered in heaps as if for construction of a stone building. No font or bell but area fenced for a burying ground and a wooden cross where palms are placed on Palm Sunday''. The chaplain, William, received a stipend of 1 mark from John de Earley and the tithes from his demense. The stable behind Early Court attached to Sidmouth House, Berkshire is said to contain the remnants of the chapel of St. Bartholemew [1,v.3,p.223].

Giles de Earley, in 1240, held the manor of Charlton, hundred of Wantage, Berkshire for ${1 \over 2$ knight's fee of Hugh de Burlay [1,v.4,p.324]. Giles was also lord of the manor of Midgham, hundred of Reading, Berkshire held as ${1 \over 4$ knight's fee [8,v.1,p.69] and seems to have held land in Erley, Berkshire. He died in 1251 [35,v.2,EdI,n.37].

Bartholemew de Earley, the son of Giles, inherited the Manor of Charlton, Berkshire and paid a subsidy in 1251 [1,v.4,p.324]. He also held the manor of Midgham, Berkshire after Roland de Erley (see chapter) [1,v.4].

William de Erlegh, in 1307, held from John de Erlegh(IV) the manor of Maiden Erley, Berkshire amounting to a messuage, 126 acres arable in a close, 48 acres arable in the common field, 13 acres of meadow, 8 acres of pasture in a close called ``Le Park'' with deer, 7 acres of alder wood, a fishery in the Thames and various rents. This held by service of 2 attendances yearly at the court of John de Erlegh(IV) and rendering 2s. for a parcel of land in the park [35,EdII,p.10,n.37]. William died in 1308 [1,v.3,p.217]. The dower assigned to his widow Maud included part of the manor house and reasonable easements in the bakehouse and cider press. Free ingress from the hall to the chapel was reserved for the heir. Maud also had in dower a curtilage called Pardis with a fishpond therein near the hedge of the park. There is still a Paradise Acre in the corner of the field called Park Field in the S.E. part of the common meadow. The park was separated by a strip of land from the wood of Sir John de Erlegh [1,v.3,p.217]. William must also have claimed the manor of South Denchworth, hundred of Wantage, Berkshire, 2 messuages and 7 virgates of land, because his widow Maud disputed the land with William Waldyn de Wilbrigton in 1307 [1,v.4,p.283].

John de Erlegh, born 1297, was the son of William (above) and inherited when his father died in 1308 [1,v.3,p.217]. He died in 1323 leaving a daughter and heir, Julian, aged 4 [1,v.3,p.217].

Thomas de Erley held the manor of Midgham, Berkshire in 1316. This Thomas was living in 1334 [8,v.1,p.49][1,v.4].

Robert de Erley and his wife Joan received a grant of land in the manor of Erley, Berkshire from John(VI) (see chapter) in 1362 [1,v.3,p.213]. However in 1401-02 a Robert de Erley (the same?) held only 1/40 of a knight's fee in Earley Whitenights, the other 39/40 being held by a John Shilford [1,v.3,p.213].

John de Erley held the manor of Midgham, Berkshire in 1402 and in the years which followed (this may be John(VII)) [1,v.4]. He died in 1432 when his son and heir, John, was a minor [35,11HenVI,n.16].

Thomas Erlee was Abbot of Reading in 1413 [14,1HenV,p.394].

Robert Erlegh, in 1428, held lands in Axeford, hundred of Remmesbury, Wiltshire [26,v.5,n.268 and 288]. A Robert Erley also held land at Pyryston, hundred of Rydelane, Dorset in 1431 [27,v.2,p.125].

Richard de Erley died in 1502, seised of the manor of Maiden Erley, Berkshire, which may have been built on the 1/40 knight's fee of Robert de Erley in Erley, Berkshire. Richard's heir was his sister, Margaret, wife of Thomas Chafyn [1,v.3,p.217].

John Erley, in 1613, owned the manor of Midgham, Berkshire. He may be identified with Joan Bird, widow, who made a settlement (of Midgham?) jointly with Henry Erley who died 1635 leaving two daughters Joan(who married Richard Garrard) and Mary (who married Richard Caryll) [1,v.4].

Last updated 9/9/99.

Christopher E. Brennen