BRENNEN FAMILY CHRONICLES© Christopher Earls Brennen
Datafile 3A. Quin and Eames Records
QUIN FAMILY OF INNISHANNON, CORK
The following family has no known connection with our Susanna Quin:
- The 1837 Topographical Dictionary of Ireland records R.Quin, Esq., JP resides at "Firgrove", Skevanish, Innishannon, County Cork. Firgrove is just over 10 miles from the city of Cork and just 5 miles from Kinsale.
- In 1850 Charlotte Elizabeth Quin, daughter of Richard Quin of Firgrove, Innishannon, County Cork, was married in Brinny to Shaw Busteed, son of Captain Busteed of Carrigaline.
- At the time of Griffith's Valuation about 1860, the representatives of Chambre Corker were leasing the property called "Firgrove" in the townland of Skevanish, Innishannon, County Cork, to Richard Quinn when it was valued at £18.
- In the 1886 Guys Directory of Innishannon, Thomas S. Quinn of Firgrove is listed as one of the local gentry; in addition Charles Quinn of Skevanish and W.J.Quinn of Skevanish are listed as among the principal farmers.
- In 1906 Firgrove was held by the representatives of Mary Quinn and valued at £7 10s. A house still exists at this site.
- A gravestone inscription in the cemetery of Christ Church, Church Hill, Innishannon, Cork, reads: In loving memory of Matthew H.B. Quin, of Sale Cheshire and formerly of Firgrove, Innishannon, who died 27 August 1986. Violet Frances Quin (nee Lambert), wife of Matthew, died 11th Aug., 2007, aged 66 years. In heavenly love abiding. . The death notice notes that Violet maiden name was Lambert and that "Firgrove" was in (the townland of) Skevanish, Innishannon. Matt and Violet had sons Robert and Brian Quin.
- Mairin Mac Devitt (firstname.lastname@example.org) contacted me by email to say that she was interested in Mabel Josphine Quin of the above Quin family of Innishannon.
CENSUS OF 1901
The 1901 Census contains the following references to Quin families. Abbreviations: Pres = Presbyterian, Meth = Methodist, CofI = Church of Ireland, RoCa = Roman Catholic, RW = read and write, RO = read only, NR = neither read nor write, UM = unmarried, MA = married, WI = widow or widower, HD = head or husband, WI = wife, SO = son, DA = daughter, NE = nephew or neice, AU = aunt, UN = uncle, SI = sister, BR = brother, SL = son-in-law, DL = daughter-in-law, GS = grandson, GD = granddaughter, SE = servant, BO = boarder, CoCor = County Cork.
House 6 in Skevanish (Inishannon, Cork) Wm John Quin HD CofI RW 46 Relieving Officer MA CoCor Mary E Quin WI CofI RW 36 Wife MA - Richard D V Quin SO CofI RW 21 Farmer Son UM CoCor William E Quin SO CofI RW 20 Medical Assistant UM CoCor Mary Q Quin DA CofI RW 15 Scholar UM CoCor John Quin SO CofI RW 13 Scholar UM CoCor Frederick Quin SO CofI RW 12 Scholar UM CoCor Agnes Quin DA CofI RW 11 Scholar UM CoCor Charles Quin SO CofI RW 10 Scholar UM CoCor Ethel M Quin DA CofI RW 9 Scholar UM CoCor George E Quin SO CofI RW 8 Scholar UM CoCor Anna E Quin DA CofI NR 5 Scholar UM CoCor Edward Quin SO CofI NR 3 Scholar UM CoCor Josephine Quin DA CofI NR 2 Scholar UM CoCor Winefred Quin DA CofI NR Scholar UM CoCor John Phar SE CofI RW 60 Farm Servant UM CoCor House 13 in Skevanish (Inishannon, Cork) Charles R S Quin HD CofI RW 39 Farmer MA CoCor Lydia Anne Quin WI CofI RW 41 Farmers Wife MA CoCor Elizabeth E Quin DA CofI RW 18 Farmers Daughter UM CoCor Mary Quin DA CofI RW 12 Scholar UM CoCor John E Quin SO CofI RW 11 Scholar UM CoCor Lydia Anne Quin DA CofI RW 9 Scholar UM CoCor Wilhelmina Quin DA CofI NR -
CENSUS OF 1911
The 1911 Census contains the following references to Quin families.
House 7 in Skevanish (Inishannon, Cork) William Johns Quinn HD CofI RW 56 Farmer MA CoCor [Married 26 years, children born 19, children living 16] Mary S Quinn WI CofI RW 46 Wife MA CoCor Richard Teresa Quinn SO CofI RW 23 Farmer UM CoCor Charles Henry Quinn SO CofI RW 20 UM CoCor Maude Ethel Quinn DA CofI RW 19 UM CoCor George Ernest Quinn SO CofI RW 17 UM CoCor Anna Eveline Quinn DA CofI RW 15 Scholar UM CoCor Albert Edward Quinn SO CofI RW 14 Scholar UM CoCor Mabel Josephine Quinn DA CofI RW 12 Scholar UM CoCor Lillian Winifred Quinn DA CofI RW 10 Scholar UM CoCor Irene Rebsagne Quinn DA CofI RW 6 Scholar UM CoCor Francis Edith Quinn DA CofI NR 4 Scholar UM CoCor Mathew Hodder Belesagne Quinn SO CofI NR Scholar UM CoCor House 10 in Skevanish (Inishannon, Cork) Charles Quinn HD CofI RW 50 Farmer MA CoCor [Married 32 years, children born 9, children living 7] Lydia Anne Quinn WI CofI RW 52 - MA CoCor Agnes Quinn DA CofI RW 10 Scholar UM CoCor
Last updated 9/10/2014.
Christopher E. Brennen